View Single Post
Old
  (#50)
Daanish_ Hyd
Daanish_ Hyd will become famous soon enough

15th January 2006, 07:34 PM

To add to what I wrote yesterday, not only Ghalib, but all our masters were skilled craftsmen in the technical aspects of poetry. I don't know where you got yr information from, Maikash saheb, but I still can't over the fact that you could make such a sweeping statement about Ghalib--that he can be faulted on behar. No way.
If you disagree with me give me one line either from his Urdu or Faarsi dewan to substantiate yr claim.
All our asaatzaa and their students and their students and perhaps their students as well, were so good at behar that this was taken for granted. you could throw a line that was completely out of rhythm at them, and they'd shape it into form in no time or tell you where you went wrong. Even today, it is not uncommon for poets to pick a line that is not in 'wazn' (at mushairas or other gatherings).
It is important for those who want to express their ideas in the ghazal form to understand these essential aspects. Even if you wish to depart from tradition, you need to have a sound understanding of tradition.

daanish hyderabadi
  Send a message via Yahoo to Daanish_ Hyd