Shayri.com  

Go Back   Shayri.com > Stories/Quotes/Anecdotes > General Stories

Does aging have a purpose?
Old
  (#1)
zidd
zidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

Does aging have a purpose? - 21st June 2010, 03:04 PM

DOES AGING HAVE A PURPOSE?
Crabby Old Man

What do you see nurses? ..What do you see?
What are you thinking.....when you're looking at me?
A crabby old man, ...not very wise,
Uncertain of habit ........with faraway eyes?

Who dribbles his food.......and makes no reply.
When you say in a loud voice.....'I do wish you'd try!
Who seems not to notice ...the things that you do.
And forever is losing .......... A sock or shoe?

Who, resisting or not...........lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding the long day to fill?
Is that what you're thinking?....Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse......you're not looking at me.

I'll tell you who I am ..... As I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, ......as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of Ten.......with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters .........who love one another

A young boy of Sixteen ... with wings on his feet
Dreaming that soon now........a lover he'll meet.
A groom soon at Twenty ...my heart gives a leap.
Remembering the vows......that I promised to keep.

At Twenty-Five, now .......... I have young of my own.
Who need me to guide .... And a secure happy home.
A man of Thirty ......... My young now grown fast,
Bound to each other ....... With ties that should last.

At Forty, my young sons ....have grown and are gone,
But my woman's beside me.......to see I don't mourn.
At Fifty, once more ..... Babies play 'round my knee,
Again, we know children ....... My loved one and me.

Dark days are upon me .... My wife is now dead.
I look at the future ..............I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing young of their own.
And I think of the years....... And the love that I've known.

I'm now an old man.........and nature is cruel.
Tis jest to make old age look like a fool.
The body, it crumbles..........grace and vigor, depart.
There is now a stone........where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass .. A young guy still dwells,
And now and again .......my battered heart swells
I remember the joys........... I remember the pain.
And I'm loving and living.............life over again.

I think of the years, all too few......gone too fast.
And accept the stark fact........that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, people ........open and see..
Not a crabby old man. Look closer....see........ME!!

( This poem was sent by a freind)

One of the best poems I ever read....We seem to look at old people a bit disapprovingly ...and we attribute a lot of cliched traits to them and mock their supposed idiocracies....how much ever we fight and treat old people and old age and treat them as some kind of enemies and ostracise people with certain ages from our routines of life....arent we fighting and disowning an enemy which we are going to be ?

But it begs the question now that why do we age and die at all? What is the purpose of aging? Why cant we live indefinitely? lets call for an answer by divine intervention first and then see where we arrive.

God sends our types here periodically and then recalls them. lets not ask why we were created in the first place. lets assume god couldnt help creating us i.e it was compulsory for god to create us for reasons only known to him. But maybe we can try and take potshots of guesses...like god may have such a hobby of crafting different living beings and collecting them......maybe god is trying to clone himself and rejections are being discarded on a place called earth , so it appears now that atleast one living being on earth bears a better resemblance to god than others( maybe hindus were right in revering cow as god...or maybe its the snake and the combodians were always correct) Maybe god enjoys a human fight and wagers, like we enjoy a good chicken fight, or maybe god wanted to write a Phd treatise called Sufferings, so he created us to see things in practical action. Whatever the divine reason, the fact is that we are here but then why do we go? maybe god is constantly transferring us to his various zoos ( maybe the UFOs are a reality) or god recalls living beings to get feedback on his Phd treatise.

Lets not now detain and disturb god further and then try to answer the same question again . why were we created?...The simple answer to that question is that we could not help creating ourselves. The conditions were such that we had to come. All of us in suitable installments... first the elements oxygen, carbon, hydrogen and phosphorus, which were ever present and are the building blocks of life. Then simple molecules like water arrived. The correct blend of the elements suspended in water with the correct temperature, and other fundamental catalysts added in this primordial soup simmering in a saucepan ( the earth acted like a giant saucepan with the ocean the basic stock for the soup) powered by sunrays lashing on this sauce pan for some billions of years got life ticking .Some time during this time, life got lucky and simple molecules turned to complex molecules...(now Darwins turn).then to unicellular beings...to small multicellular beings...to amoeba..to bacteria...fungus...to fish...to giraffe, man and tiger. Thats about how and the why of the creation

The second law of thermodynamics ensures the reason of all death. simplicistically the law says that entrophy increases i.e disorder increases until there is complete equilibrium of energies. (To my limited ability I find this to be the biggest paradox, I have ever encountered.) So to again put it simplistically, all living being bodies deteriorate and lose integrity ,and when enough integrity is lost they stop to be. thats about why and how we die, and this increase of entrophy in our direction is aging.

It is apparent that if living beings did not die then there would have been no place for anyone to live. This earth would be covered with trees and fungus and nothing would have evolved except perhaps monkeys who are adept at living on trees, and as we are close cousins to the simians it proves that we are quite a smart and wily lot.

But still suppose that there was no concept of death. The question of undeath runs in two directions. One is the undeath by non aging and the consequevces are identified above. But what about attrition of life? Suppose a road roller flattened a sleeping cat because the driver was drunk, then what happens to the cat? It is incomprehensible to venture that nothing would happen to the cat. That he roller would simply climb over the sleeping cat and the cat will maintain its feline integrity as it is deathless! This line of thinking will deny existence of force,pressure,mass,weight and gravity,and there will be no physics ! so this line of thinking is not tenable as the universe would not exist bereft of physics, leave alone the cat. So it is understood that the cat will be flattened. Now that the cat is flattened what happens next? The cat definetely is no more in the shape it is generally recognised as cat. Nor is that cat in exactly one peice but in atleast quite a few peices. How then can it not die? Well, it may be said that the pieces will live. But what will sustain the peices? There is no metabolic system left to provide energy so how will the cells survive and regenerate ? The answer maybe that no energy is required to sustain the peices, and there's no need for the cells to regenerate. Then we are talking about some peices of stone and not a living cat. So again it is untenable there can be no death because of attrition of life.

The undeath will have to count attrition of life out of its scope and if undeath due to non aging was the norm, then I would not be here to write this and you would not be here to read this blog. It is imperative that the old die so that our young might live.

God alas ,cannot use these arguements for imposition of death. I would simply counter argue that god can always at his will go on increasing the size of earth endlessly so that all can live without dying. Afterall isnt the universe infinite?

It is amply clear that there is no purpose to life apart from being born, living and dying. The presence of a short lived housefly amply proves the point as well as the presence of very long lived tortoise who simply sits for centuries and then dies. So it derives that there is no purpose to aging.As a housefly has no strategic purpose ,so does humans have no lofty purpose to be. Making way for the young too is not the purpose but the consequence of aging. By dying(though unwillingly) we will only be returning a favour which our forebears had granted to us.

But this should not be constructed as a confession of eternal doom and provides no licence to listlessness. We may be typical social animals with a zebra for company on this soceity earth and the purpose of life may only be a social invention, but that does not stop us from enjoying life as to our manufactured concepts of joys and nastiness. We, by being here, will use some of the time there ever will be, and share the same time too with others, whether organic or inorganic. There is no point in being intolerant and unconcerned towards others who have simply used some more time than we have done.
Why kick and damage a door that we will have to enter?

Old
  (#2)
Mann
Mann is just really niceMann is just really niceMann is just really niceMann is just really nice

21st June 2010, 08:14 PM

OMG!

Oh My God!! Zidd ji hats offfffff to your imagination!!!

Let me add some more..

We can only imagine if we keep aging and don’t die. Our body will become so weak that it won’t be able to sync with the thought process in our mind. Now imagine.. There will be grave consequences indeed. The infinite population growth... What will happen then doesn’t need any elaboration…

We will be bored of life…same things again and again… same planet called earth… same seas same mountains same plants... same animals (humans included). oh no!

And the positive ones..We will never be in a hurry. We will have no fear of death -- remember it’s the ultimate fear ... and much more..

[We may be typical social animals with a zebra for company on this soceity earth and the purpose of life may only be a social invention, but that does not stop us from enjoying life as to our manufactured concepts of joys and nastiness. We, by being here, will use some of the time there ever will be, and share the same time too with others, whether organic or inorganic. There is no point in being intolerant and unconcerned towards others who have simply used some more time than we have done."]

jokes apart, nice thoughts indeed..

Old
  (#3)
zidd
zidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

30th June 2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann-Limitless View Post
OMG!

Oh My God!! Zidd ji hats offfffff to your imagination!!!

Let me add some more..

We can only imagine if we keep aging and don’t die. Our body will become so weak that it won’t be able to sync with the thought process in our mind. Now imagine.. There will be grave consequences indeed. The infinite population growth... What will happen then doesn’t need any elaboration…

We will be bored of life…same things again and again… same planet called earth… same seas same mountains same plants... same animals (humans included). oh no!

And the positive ones..We will never be in a hurry. We will have no fear of death -- remember it’s the ultimate fear ... and much more..

[We may be typical social animals with a zebra for company on this soceity earth and the purpose of life may only be a social invention, but that does not stop us from enjoying life as to our manufactured concepts of joys and nastiness. We, by being here, will use some of the time there ever will be, and share the same time too with others, whether organic or inorganic. There is no point in being intolerant and unconcerned towards others who have simply used some more time than we have done."]

jokes apart, nice thoughts indeed..

man sahab.......

exactly......thats eactly what i wanted to point........

again repeated

Why kick and damage a door that we will have to enter?

Old
  (#4)
zidd

17th July 2014, 02:14 PM

Kal raat kisine FB par dhalti umr ki yaad dila di....tab ye purana article usko dikhaya aur mera bhi ek baar aur padne ka dil kiya...
jisme itna padne ka hausla hai vo bhi pade

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: