Shayri.com  

Go Back   Shayri.com > Shayri > Shayri Ki Paathshaala

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
The Technical Aspects,Terms And Rules of Ghazal Writing.....
Old
  (#1)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan
maikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant future

Arrow The Technical Aspects,Terms And Rules of Ghazal Writing..... - 7th December 2001, 08:51 AM

Dear Readers.....

I'm writing this article for people who has always wondered about how a Ghazal is written.
Who are keen to know the technical side of Ghazal writing

Note that i'm only trying to pass this information to you based on what i had been taught.

What is a Ghazal...?
A Ghazal is a combination of :-

1.Beher (Meter
2.Radeef
3.Kafiya
4.Matla
5.Maktaa

1. What is Beher (Meter) ...?

Beher is the rhythm of a sheyr which compliments the connecting misra's (lines) of a ghazal...all the misra's in a sher and all the sheyrs in a ghazal has to follow the same beher. There are many different beher's and it demands serious studies to be understood.Apart from those set beher's a shayar can also creat his own beher as long as the sheyr is easy to recite and can be pronounced in rhythm n match the "wazan" of the ghazal..

2.What is Radeef...?

Radeef is the word(s) which ends the first two misra's and the second misra of every sheyr in a Ghazal.it is not necessary to use radeef in all the Ghazals...such Ghazals are called "gair-muraddaf" ghazals...but this is not what tradition allows...!!

Example of a Ghazal with radeef and kafiya :- (Abdul Hameed "adam")

phuuloN kii aarazuu meN baDe zaKhm khaaye haiN
lekin chaman ke Khaar bhii ab tak paraaye haiN

us par haraam hai Gam-e-dauraaN kii talKhiyaaN
jiske nasiib meN terii zulfoN ke saaye haiN

mahashar meN le gaii thii tabiyat kii saadagii
lekin baDe Khuluus se ham lauT aaye haiN

aayaa huuN yaad baad-e-fanaa unako bhii 'Adam'
kyaa jald mere siikh pe imaan laaye haiN

***here.."haiN" is the radeef of this Ghazal***

ai maigusaaro savere savere
Kharaabaat ke gird phere pe phere

(Abdul Hameed "adam")

here....radeef is missing...as last words of the sheyr are not same so its a "Ghair-muraddaf" ghazal...so radeef is that exact word or words that ends the first two lines and every second line of a ghazal...!!

3. What is Kafiya...?

Kafiya is that common sounding word that's used before "radeef"...for example in first ghazal mentioned above "khaaye".."paraaye"...."laaye" is the kafiya or should is say "aaye" is the kafiya because "aaye" is the sound that gives "wazan" to the radeef of the ghazal.

4.What is Matla...?

The very first sheyr or the first two misra's of a ghazal where radeef is used in both misra's is the "Matla" of a ghazal...!!

for example...

saaGar se lab lagaa ke bahut Khush hai zindagii
sahan-e-chaman meN aake bahut Khush hai zindagii

Matla is very necessary for the weight of a ghazal because the whole ghazal depends on kafiya and radeef used in the Matla.

5.What is Maktaa

Maktaa is the last sheyr of a ghazal where shayar use his "takhhallus" to leave his signature on his composition...A poet rather not have a maktaa rather than having a meaningless maktaa...its one of those finer points of shayri where shayar can express himself or his feelings or talk about anything using the rhythm of the ghazal...!!

example... ( Shakeel Badayuni ) :-

Khush huuN ki meraa husn-e-talab kaam to aayaa
Khaalii hii sahii merii taraf jaam to aayaa

log un se ye kahate haiN ki kitane haiN "Shakeel" aap
is husn ke sadaqe meN meraa naam to aayaa

Dear friends...thsi article is far from complete as far as depth and rules of ghazal writing are concerned..each topic especially "beher" needs to be studied thoroughly if someone wants to understand this fine art of shayri.

These are just the basic points that someone needs to look at before writing or understanding a ghazal...if anyone have any questions at all..i'll be overwhelmed to answer...i have an advice for shayar's who has just begun to write and are serious about learning shayri....you NEED to find an ustad who can guide you...find someone whom you can show your compositons...who can explain each term step by step and seek an advice..coz there's a lot more...A LOT MORE..in shayri than you can imagine...!!

I'll try to post more articles like this...its an attempt to bring all shayri lovers more closer to the real picture of shayri.

On the closing Note i'd like to thank all my friends out there who have supported me with all their strength...!!

maikasH

"har aansu" mein thi neelam si chamak ....par
afsos...ye dunyia hee ise na dekh paayi

is tarhe teri yaad meiN har shaam dhaley hai
goyaa koyi nagin si kalejey pe chaley hai

maikash

Last edited by maikasH; 19th January 2007 at 07:36 AM..
 Send a message via ICQ to maikasH Send a message via Yahoo to maikasH  
Very useful info
Old
  (#2)
molly
molly will become famous soon enough

Very useful info - 7th December 2001, 12:30 PM

This is indeed a very useful article maikasH ji.

Infact I had requested Gaurav to post an article about all this.

This article will surely help everyone- the people who want to write shayri n also thepeople who are not shayars but admirers of shayri.It will help them to understand the writers point of view in a better sense now.

Keep Writing

Take care

Molly

[COLOR="Plum"]"When people come together, they find ways to separate."[/COLOR]

Last edited by molly; 7th December 2001 at 10:14 PM..
 Send a message via ICQ to molly  
Old
  (#3)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan
maikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant futuremaikasH has a brilliant future

7th December 2001, 09:51 PM

Aadaab molly ji.....

thanx.....

Like i said in the article there's a lot more to it n i might post a detailed article soon if people are willing to know.....
adaab
maikasH
HIIIIIIIIIIIIII...............
Old
  (#4)
kamaal de kurri
kamaal de kurri is on a distinguished road

Smile HIIIIIIIIIIIIII............... - 8th December 2001, 06:35 AM

maikasH ji,

Thank-u for the great info on Ghazal writing you
posted, it was a very intresting read. I was wondering
if you have stopped posting your own work or have I
just missed it, I log in especially to read your inspiring
work so could you please let me know, hope you
havn't left us?????

keeeeep smiiiiiiiiiiiiiling..........
.......naz!

When your heart bleeds tears, then you will know it's LOVE!

Hi....
Old
  (#5)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

Hi.... - 8th December 2001, 09:45 AM

My pleasure....!!

u seems to be devoting a lot of time to my ghazals nazia ji...i wanna thank u for that....i won't be able to leave behind such respect....

i'm here....back again....

i'll be posting everyday from now on.....

keep an eye....

adaab
maikasH

maikash
Old
  (#6)
00730t
MADAN MAAN
00730t is on a distinguished road

15th December 2007, 02:40 PM

kuchh tabiiyat hii milii thi aisii
cha'in se jeene ki suurat na huii
jisko chaaha usey apnaa na sakey
jo milaa uss se mohabbat na huii

WAH-WAH MAIKASHI JI I LIKE YOUR THJIS KALAM..........

Welcome back maikasHji!!
Old
  (#7)
shumaila
shumaila will become famous soon enoughshumaila will become famous soon enough

Smile Welcome back maikasHji!! - 8th December 2001, 03:53 PM

How r u?Aap ko shayri.com me wapis dekhkar bahut khushi huyi...yakeen maane....hum roz aate the isi umeed pe ki shayad aap ka kuch naya kalaam parhne ko mile lekin roz mayous ho jate the....lekin aaj jab aapko wapis dekha to phir se accha laga...

BTW,ye jo aapne info. di hai..its very useful aur bahut kayde se example ke saath explain kiya hai...thanx for that!!!

ab likhtey rahiyega......kahin jaayega nahi!!

regards,
shumaila

kabhi kisi ko muqammal jahan nahi milta
kahiiN zameeN to kahiiN aasmaN nahi milta!!

FANTASTIC
Old
  (#8)
kamaal de kurri
kamaal de kurri is on a distinguished road

Smile FANTASTIC - 9th December 2001, 06:16 AM

maikasH Ji,

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!

Hamarah yakeen maniya kai hamme yai baat sun
kai bohote kushi hui....I'm sure a lot of others will
agree with this???

..........naz!

When your heart bleeds tears, then you will know it's LOVE!

Adaab.....
Old
  (#9)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

Adaab..... - 9th December 2001, 08:19 AM

Aap logon ne to ise gulaam bana liya hai nazia ji.....
aapki marzi ke bina kahan jayega maikasH....!!

itni izzat dene ka tah-e-dil se shukarguzaar hun....!!

adaab
maikasH

maikash
Welcome BACK
Old
  (#10)
talib
talib is a splendid one to beholdtalib is a splendid one to beholdtalib is a splendid one to beholdtalib is a splendid one to beholdtalib is a splendid one to beholdtalib is a splendid one to behold

Thumbs up Welcome BACK - 12th December 2001, 10:01 PM

Thanx for the COMEBACK...

I am writing this sher here please find the mistakes and and correct me...also do try to add something to it and make it sparkle a bit more..

Aakhen nahi hai Surkh heena ka rang lag gaya
Lagta hai meri haddiyon ko zung lag gaya
karta tha kal talak jo marne maarne ki baat
uss rustam-e-hind ko rog-e-palang lag gaya.

Ta Gaur tumhara

Talib

Ta- Gor Tumhara

Talib.
  Send a message via Yahoo to talib  
Old
  (#11)
Kavita
Log kehtai hain:'Kavita'
Kavita is on a distinguished road

Smile 28th December 2001, 05:27 AM

Maikash Ji,
Hi,aap kaisai hain?Khuda sai hamari hamesha yehi guzarish rahegi ki aap hamesha salaamat rahe.Main Shayri.com par new thi aur sab kuch ajnabee sa lagta tha par aapka ghazal par article read karnai kai baad mujhe ehsaas hua ki main shayari ki duniya main ajnabee nahi hoon.Aapka bohot bohot shukriya nawazish!

Take Care & keep coming back to Shayari.com.
Thanx again for the informative article.

With luv,
Kavita
  Send a message via Yahoo to Kavita  
thik nahi kah rahi
Old
  (#12)
surja
surja is just really nicesurja is just really nicesurja is just really nicesurja is just really nice

Arrow thik nahi kah rahi - 9th September 2008, 11:35 PM

kavita g aapke tarif karne ka andaj bahut hi acha laga .
magar hum aapko batana cahenge , ki shayari ki koi class nahi hoti hai .
ye wo hunar hai jo jamane ke sitam or mohobat ke intjar se paida hota hai .

iske liye tajurbe ki jarurat hoti hai .
jitna pyar me mitenge , khud ko mom ki tarah piglayenge ye hunar utna hi badta jayega .

ish kore kagaj par sabdo ki suruat aap se ho .
hum bahut tadpe aab tadpne ki suruat aap se ho.
tamana hai sanso ki aap ban jaye meri jindagi.
meri har subah har saam har raat aapse ho .

shayari-e-dard
Old
  (#13)
harish k thakur
harish k thakur is on a distinguished road

shayari-e-dard - 27th September 2009, 06:13 PM

Maikash Ji tussi ho kithe
good article bhai, quite informative

but what about open verse, isn't there provision for it in Urdu shayari
so far as i remember u talked of rhyme n structured metre...

ek try main bhi maroon kya
correct keeziaga please...

Lahad se nikal kar thaam leta daaman unka
Itna bhi gamgeen na tha zanaaze mein mere koi

thakur

Old
  (#14)
naadaan
naadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud ofnaadaan has much to be proud of

5th November 2009, 02:42 PM

Mehfil-e-Adab ko Salaam,

Bah'r ke mutalliq ek peshkash aap sab ki jaankari ke liye. Ummiid hai madad milegii.

Bah'r: The Backbone of Shaayari Author: Irfan 'Abid'
Date: 19th July, 2001

Before I started writing this article, I thought several times if I had the knowledge and expertise to dwell on a subject as vast and complex as 'shaayari'. After all, I have taken only the first step towards learning this great art. But then I thought that my experience might help those who are yet to take that first step. So here I am, with my explanation of 'bah'r', the most important technical aspect of shaayari.

The purpose of this article is to give the readers a general idea of what bah'r means and how it is used to construct a misra (line) of Urdu shaayari. I am sharing with you some of my limited knowledge of shaayari that my Ustaad 'Mazaq' Charkhariwi has graciously given to me. He belongs to Ustaad Daag Dehlvi's school of shaayari.

Everything written here conforms to that school and its teachings. There are areas where schools differ in opinion but that happens only in the case of very fine details. The scope covered here is very basic and should not pose any such issue. However, I wanted to post the disclaimer, just in case.

'Bah'r or 'Meter' is the structure over which the words of a misra (line) of a sher (verse) are arranged. Bah'r itself is made of 'arkaan' (plural of 'rukn'
which means 'pillar' or 'important part'). Arkaan are also referred to as 'feet'. Whosoever coined this term was perhaps trying to relate it to the bigger unit 'meter', without realizing that 'meter' and 'foot' are units of length in two different systems of measurement. However, the 'meter' and 'feet' combination may be justified by the fact that one meter is roughly equal to three and a quarter feet and most of the bah'rs do have three or four arkaan in one misra. Arkaan are meaningless dummy words, the basic purpose of which is to specify the places of long and short syllables in an actual word. The eight arkaan, broken down into syllables, used in Urdu shaayari are as follows:

'fa-uu-lun', 'faa-i-lun', 'ma-faa-ii-lun', 'mus-taf-i-lun', 'faa-i-laa-tun', 'mu-ta-faa-i-lun', 'ma-faa-i-la-tun' and 'maf-uu-laat'

Perhaps this is a good place to add a note on transliteration, that is the process of writing Urdu words in Roman script, so that they are pronounced correctly. We will treat 'a' as in 'akbar', 'i' as in 'ishq', 'u' as in 'uljhan', 'e' as in 'ek' ('ai' and 'ei' should be treated as 'e'), 'o' as in 'bahaaro', 'aa' as in 'aaraam', 'ii' as in 'merii' and 'uu' as in 'juutaa'. Other Roman letters used are self explanatory and are not as important as these vowels.

• An 'a', 'i' or 'u' by itself or after a consonant will produce a short syllable (weight '1').
  • An 'e', 'o', 'aa', 'ii' or 'uu' by itself or after a consonant will produce a long syllable (weight '2').
  • An 'a', 'i' or 'u' between two consonants or before a consonant will produce a long syllable (weight '2').
  • An 'e', 'o', 'aa', 'ii' or 'uu' between two consonants or before a consonant will produce a long syllable (weight '3').
  • The syllable with weight '3' can be subdivided into two syllables, with weights '1' and '2' respectively, but let us keep it as it is for now.
Given this description, the eight arkaan mentioned above can be written respectively in terms of weights as
'1-2-2', '2-1-2', '1-2-2-2', '2-2-1-2', '2-1-2-2', '1-1-2-1-2', '1-2-1-1-2' and '2-2-3'

The arkaan mentioned above are in their 'saalim' (pure) form. With slight modification, each can be turned into one of its 'muzaahif' (modified) forms (These forms may be seen in the bah'rs given at the end of this article). Accordingly, a bah'r may be a 'saalim' or a 'muzaahif' one. Bah'rs are also classified according to the mix of their arkaan. If a bah'r is made by the repetition of the same rukn, it is a 'mufarrid' (made of a single ingredient) bah'r. If it uses a combination of more than one rukn, it is a 'murakkab' (composite) bah'r. Bah'rs given at the end of this article have examples of both.

The arkaan and bah'rs were developed by the masters of literature and music. That is why shaayari written in proper bah'r is fluent to recite and easy to compose into a tune. However, not all the bah'rs have the same ease of flow and spontaneity of rhythm. As a result, few became more popular than others. In this article, we will cover only the most popular ones. Most of the Urdu shaayari has been written using these bah'rs. Please note that in addition to the traditional bah'rs that I was taught, I have seen shaayars (poets) using other bah'rs that they have devised themselves. In my opinion, one can write poetry in any format as long as it follows some 'rule' and is enjoyable when recited. However, in the beginning, it is advisable to stick to the traditional bah'rs.

After you decide which bah'r to use, the next thing is to arrange your words on that bah'r. This is the real art in shaayari. If possible, the words should start and end where the arkaans do, but this is not necessary. A word can be spread over two adjacent arkaan. Moreover, a syllable in a word that is normally considered a long syllable, can be treated as a short one, if it does not fit into the arkaan and the bah'r. In other words, the 'weight' of the syllables can be reduced or the pronunciation of the syllables can be hastened to fit the bah'r. Where and how one can do it is a complex issue in Urdu shaayari. There are elaborate rules for doing so which are beyond the scope of this article. For now, all I can suggest is to look at the shaayari by the ustaads and see how they have used a particular word in a particular situation. A glimpse of this feature may be seen in the ashaar given with the bah'rs in this article. You may notice that certain words have been placed against a relatively small portion (or syllable) of a rukn. These are the words whose pronunciation is altered to fit the bah'r.

The bah'rs being discussed here are used for the most popular forms of Urdu shaayari (like ghazal, nazm, qit'aa and geet/naghma etc.), but not for all forms. Rubaayii, for instance, has its own set of bah'rs.
Following are some very frequently used bah'rs. You may find the names difficult to remember. But what's in a name! Pay attention to the structure because that is what matters. Each bah'r is accompanied by a sher on it, broken down according to the structure of the bah'r. If a word happens to be spread across more than one part of a rukn or across more than one rukn, its pieces are joined by a hyphen (-). I have used my own ashaar to illustrate the bah'rs, but I am also giving a classic sher for each bah'r. You may have heard the classic many times, may have memorized it and thus may find it easier to capture the structure of the bah'r. Try to break these classic ash'aar down according to the bah'r.
Bah'r Hazaj Saalim

bharii duniyaa sahii lekin Thikaanaa ham bhii paa leNge
jahaaN do gaz zamiiN hogii wahiiN ham ghar banaa leNge
Ma - faa - ii - lun Ma - faa - ii - lun Ma - faa - ii - lun Ma - faa - ii - lun

bha - rii duni - yaa sa - hii le - kin Thi- kaa - naa ham bhii paa leN - ge
ja - haaN do gaz za - miiN ho - gii wa - hiiN ham ghar ba-naa leN - ge

Classic Sher by Allama 'Iqbal':
mitaa de apnii hastii ko agar kuchh martabaa chaahe
ki daanaa Khaak meiN mil kar gul-e-gulzaar hotaa hai

Bah'r Hazaj Musamman Akhrab

KhwaaboN meiN banaaii thii aaNkhoN meiN sajaa lii hai
tasviir tirii ham ne is dil meiN basaa lii hai
Maf - uu - lu Ma - faa - ii - lun Maf - uu - lu Ma - faa - ii - lun

Khwaa - boN meiN ba - naa - ii thii aaN - khoN meiN sa - jaa lii hai
tas - vii - r ti - rii ham ne is dil meiN ba - saa lii hai

Classic by 'Jigar' Moradabadi:
kyaa husn ne samjhaa hai kya ishq ne jaanaa hai
ham khaak-nashiinoN kii thokar meiN zamaanaa hai

Bah'r Hazaj Musamman Akhrab Makfuuf Mahzuuf

tuufaan meiN tinke kaa sahaaraa bhii bahut hai
zulmat meiN to bas ek sharaaraa bhii bahut hai
Maf - uu - lu Ma - faa - ii - lu Ma - faa - ii - lu Fa - uu - lun

tuu - faa - n meiN tin - ke kaa sa - haa - raa bhii ba - hut hai
zul - mat meiN to bas e - k sha - raa - raa bhii ba - hut hai

Classic by Mirza Ghalib:
baaziicha-e-atfaal hai duniyaa mire aage
hota hai shab-o-roz tamaashaa mire aage

Bah'r Hazaj Musaddas Mahzuuf

tamannaaoN se aye dil kyaa milegaa
jo qismat meiN likhaa hogaa milegaa
Ma - faa - ii - lun Ma - faa - ii - lun Fa - uu - lun

ta - man - naa - oN se aye dil kyaa mi - le - gaa
jo qis - mat meiN li - khaa ho - gaa mi - le - gaa

Classic by 'Firaq' Gorakhpuri:
sitaaroN se ulajhtaa jaa rahaa huuN
shab-e-furqat bahut ghabraa rahaa huuN

Bah'r Ramal Musamman Mahzuuf

dil kii bechainii ne apnaa kaam aakhir kar diyaa
tujh se mere raabte ko aam aakhir kar diyaa
Faa - i - laa - tun Faa - i - laa - tun Faa - i - laa - tun Faa - i - lun*
dil kii be - chai - nii ne ap - naa kaa - m aa - khir kar di - yaa
tujh se me - re raa - b - te ko aa - m aa - khir kar di - yaa

* Faa - i - laan is acceptable here.

Classic by 'Hasrat' Mohani:
sab ghalat kahte hain lutf-e-yaar ko wajh-e-sukuuN
dard-e-dil usne tau 'Hasrat' aur duunaa kar diyaa

Bah'r Ramal Musaddas Mahzuuf

ishq kaa haasil hai kyaa mat puuchhiye
kyaa milaa kyaa kho gayaa mat puuchhiye
Faa - i - laa - tun Faa - i - laa - tun Faa - i - lun*

ish - q kaa haa- sil hai kyaa mat puu - chhi - ye
kyaa mi - laa kyaa kho ga - yaa mat puu - chhi - ye

* Faa - i - laan is acceptable here.

Classic by Meer Taqi 'Meer':
ibtidaa-e-ishq hai rotaa hai kyaa
aage aage dekhiye hotaa hai kyaa

Bah'r Mutaqaarib Saalim

muhabbat burii hai na nafrat burii hai
burii hai tau har shai kii kasrat burii hai
Fa - uu - lun Fa - uu - lun Fa - uu - lun Fa - uu - lun

mu - hab - bat bu - rii hai na naf - rat bu - rii hai
bu - rii hai tau har shai kii kas - rat bu - rii hai

Classic by 'Bekhud' Dehlvi:
na dekhaa thaa jo bazm-e-dushman meiN dekhaa
muhabbat tamaashe dikhaatii hai kya kya

Bah'r Mutaqaarib Musamman Maqbuuz Aslam (16 Ruknii)

ho shaam-e-gham jis qadar bhii lambii dhalegii yeh bhii zaruur yaaro
kabhii to utregaa mere ghar meiN Khushii kii kirnoN kaa nuur yaaro
Fa - uu - lu Faa - lun Fa - uu - lu Faa - lun
ho shaa - m-e- gham jis qa - dar bhi lam - bii

dha - le - gii yeh bhii za - ruu - r yaa - ro

ka - bhii to ut - re- gaa me - re ghar meiN

Khu - shii kii kir - noN kaa nuu - r yaa - ro

Classic by 'Daag' Dehlvi:
sitam hii karnaa jafaa hii karnaa nigaah-e-ulfat kabhii na karnaa
tumheN qasam hai hamaare sar kii hamaare haq meN kamii na karnaa

Bah'r Kaamil Saalim

ki gaNwaa diye maine hosh bhii mujhe chain aa na sakaa kabhii
terii yaad yuuN hii jawaaN rahii tujhe dil bhulaa na sakaa kabhii
Mu - ta - faa - i - lun Mu - ta - faa - i - lun
ki gaN - waa di - ye mai - ne ho - sh bhii

mu - jhe chai - n aa na sa - kaa ka - bhii

te - rii yaa - d yuN hii ja - waaN ra - hii

tu - jhe dil bhu - laa na sa - kaa ka - bhii

Classic by Hakeem 'Momin':
wo jo ham meN tum meN qaraar thaa tumheN yaad ho ke na yaad ho
wahii yaanii waadaa nibaah kaa tumheN yaad ho ke na yaad ho

Bah'r Mutadaarik Saalim

gul chiraaghoN ko kar ham sare shaam deN
kyon bhalaa aatish-e-dil ko aaraam deN
Faa - i - lun Faa - i - lun Faa - i - lun Faa - i - lun

gul chi - raa - ghoN ko kar ham sa - re shaa - m deN
kyoN bha - laa aa - ti - sh-e -dil ko aa - raa - m deN

Classic by Nida Fazli:
har taraf har jagah be-shumaar aadmii
phir bhii tanhaaiyoN kaa shikaar aadmii

Bah'r Mazaar'a Musamman Akhrab

maiN beqaraar kyoN huuN dil beqaraar kyoN hai
us bewafaa se ab tak aakhir yeh pyaar kyoN hai
Maf - uu - lu Faa - i - laa - tun Maf - uu - lu Faa - i - laa - tun

maiN be - qa - raa - r kyoN huuN dil be - qa - raa - r kyoN hai
us be - wa - faa se ab tak aa - khir yeh pyaa - r kyoN hai

Classic by Allama 'Iqbal':
saare jahaaN se achchhaa HindostaaN hamaaraa
ham bulbuleN haiN iskii yeh gulsitaaN hamaaraa

Bah'r Mazaar'a Musamman Akhrab Makfuuf Maqsuur

kaise kahuuN maiN apnii kahaanii ko baar baar
kyoN kar piyuuNgaa aaNkh ke paanii ko baar baar
Maf - uu - lu Faa - i - laa - tu* ma - faa - ii - lu** Faa - i - laan***

kai - se ka - huuN maiN ap - nii ka - haa - nii ko baa - r baar
kyoN kar pi - yuuN - gaa aa - Nkh ke paa - nii ko baa - r baar

* Faa-i-laa-tun is acceptable here.
** Maf-uu-lu is acceptable here.
*** Faa-i-lun is acceptable here.

Classic by Daag Dehlvi (with Faa-i-lun as the last rukn):
Khaatir se yaa lihaaz se main maan tau gayaa
jhuuti qasam se aap ka iimaan tau gayaa

Bah'r Mujtas Musamman Makhbuun Maqsuur

wafaa ke qaul se ham tau mukar nahiiN sakte
ki dushmanii meiN bhii had se guzar nahiiN sakte
Ma - faa - i - lun Fa - i - laa - tun Ma - faa - i - lun Fa - i - lun

wa - faa ke qau - l se ham tau mu - kar na - hiiN sa - k - te
ki dush - ma - nii meiN bhii had se gu - zar na - hiiN sa - k - te

Classic by Faiz Ahmed 'Faiz':
guloN meiN rang bhare baad-e-nau-bahaar chale
chale bhii aao ki gulshan ka kaar-o-baar chale

If this article helps you in any way, it will be my pleasure. If you are really serious about shaayari, find a ustaad near you and be his shaagird (student). There is no substitute for the guidance and teaching of a ustaad.

Ho Zor-e-kalam aur Ziaadaa.
Aadaab
Naadaan

"Wo kaun hai jinhe tauba ki mil gai fursat,
HumeN gunah bhi karne ko zindagi kam hai."
-Anand Narayan Mulla.

वो कौन है जिन्हें तौबा की मिल गई फुरसत,
हमें गुनाह भी करने को ज़िंदगी कम है.
-आनंद नारायण मुल्ला

Old
  (#15)
harish k thakur
harish k thakur is on a distinguished road

18th April 2013, 12:35 PM

Lahad se nikal kar thaam leta daaman unka
Itna bhi gamgeen na tha zanaaze mein mere koi

Lahad se nikloon aur daaman ko thaam loon
Itna bhi gamgin na tha janaze me mere koi

thakur

salaam...
Old
  (#16)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

salaam... - 28th December 2001, 09:03 AM

Aadaab Kavita ji....

duaa dene ke liye is khaaksaar ka shukriya kabuul kijiye....
dil ko kuch tasallii huii ye jaan kar ke mere is article ne kisi ka ehsaas-e-tanhaai duur kiya.....

aap mehfil meN aaya kijiye....kuch roz ki baat hai aapko ajnabiyaT ka khayaal taj nahiN aayega....

phir mulaqaat hogi....

Nacheez
maikasH

maikash
miss u always
Old
  (#17)
bhadshahkhan
bhadshahkhan is on a distinguished road

miss u always - 1st January 2002, 10:58 PM

maikash,,,,,,,,,,,,where r u ;;;;;;;;;;

me a message is liye likh raha huu bahot din se aapne koi sher post nahi kiya . tumhare bina a mehfil adhuri hai please tum chale aao tumhara intezaar ker raha hoo please

ager tum nahi aaye to hum kabhi ees mehfil ka naam bhi nahi lenge

Aadab....
Old
  (#18)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

Aadab.... - 2nd January 2002, 09:20 AM

bhadshahkhan saahab....

Tasleem.....

Muafi chata huN jo kuch roz se mehfil meN haziiri nai lagvaa paaya.....

Aap mehfil choR ke jaane ki baat na kareN , khaaksaar ki zubaan pe yakiiN ho to samajh lijiye aaj se jaise bhi ban paDe ....ek-do kalaam rozaana post karne ki koshish karuNga....

ye jaan ke kuch tasalii huii ki sahebaan is nacheez ke kalaam ka intezaar karte haiN....

aapki mohabbat ka bahot mamnuun huN....

phir mulaqaat hogi....aapke israar pe do ghazleN post kar raha huN ....

shukriya

adaab
maikasH

maikash
Hi
Old
  (#19)
sneerja
sneerja is on a distinguished road

Hi - 3rd February 2002, 03:31 AM

aapki is informetion se kafi kuch seekhne ko milega umeed hai ki aage bhi aap issi tarah se naye shayars ko guide lines dete rahenge .this is realy very nice .

neerja

shukriya
Old
  (#20)
tanhadil
tanhadil is on a distinguished road

shukriya - 8th February 2002, 07:50 PM

aadaab maikash ji,

aapko mai kya kahu....bahot khub....

aapne jo kuch sikhaya...hume accha laga.....thanks a lot

humne jitna samja hai...aagese koshish karenge...dhayan mai rakh ke likhenge...

again shukriya....

take care....

tanhadil

Yeh Gham Nahi ke Andhere Se Sulah Ki Maine

Malal Yeh Hai Ke ab Subh Ki Talb Bhi Nahi
  Send a message via Yahoo to tanhadil  
Tasleem
Old
  (#21)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

Tasleem - 10th February 2002, 08:26 AM

Aadaab Neerja ji....

Agar ye information aapke kuch kaam aa sake to khaaksaar ko in'tehaaii khushii hogi.....

koshish jaari rakhiye....

aadaab
maikasH

maikash
Aadaab
Old
  (#22)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

Aadaab - 10th February 2002, 08:31 AM

aadaab"tanhadil" ......

bhaii aapka naam jitnii dafaa paRhaa hai dil meN aaya hai ke aaj ek aur ghazal keh daaluN....magar kya kareN saahab haalaat aur waqt ne iss kadar uljhaa rakhaa hai ke puucHiye maT....

phir se arz karne chahuuNgaa ki iss article se "seriously" likhne waale agar kuch seekh paayeN tu mujhe bohat sukuun milegaa.....

aapki izaat-afzaaii ke liye mashkuur huuN aapka....

bohat shukriya

maikasH

maikash
aadaab
Old
  (#23)
tanhadil
tanhadil is on a distinguished road

aadaab - 9th April 2002, 12:03 PM

maikashji.....

kaun hai woh jo aaapse "jang" chedh raha hai....
kaun hai woh jo aaappe "ilzaaam" laga rahai hai....

woh jo bhi hai...itna samajle...ki aapke saaath saare shayri.com ke members hai...

aapne apnaa jo kimti waqt shayri.com ko diya hai....
aur apni shayri se logon ka dil jita hai......
uskeliye shayri.com ke members aapke shukraguzaar hai...
aur hum hamesha chahege ki aaap isi tarah shayri.com ki ronak aur dilkashi barkarar rakhein......

aaapne humesha hume sikhane aur acchi shayri tameer karne ki seekh di hai.....jisi kuch bhi nahi malum tha uskeliye aaap ek "guru" ki tarah ho.....

aapki izzat humari izzzat hai.....

aapse jo bhi jang karega......aapse pehle use humse ladna hoga......

"direct - dil -se" ho ya kahii se bhi.....dhyaaaan rahein......
shayri.com ki maryaada aur khobsurti.....ko badhane ki koshish karein.....

yahaan "maikash" aur kai log hai jinse shayri.com ki khobsurti barkarar hai...unhe pareshan ya kisi uljan mai dalne ki zurrat mat kareiyega......

maikashji....aaap khush rahein...in sabse hum lad lenge....

k'hafiz.

Yeh Gham Nahi ke Andhere Se Sulah Ki Maine

Malal Yeh Hai Ke ab Subh Ki Talb Bhi Nahi
  Send a message via Yahoo to tanhadil  
Old
  (#24)
Uzma~
Uzma~ is on a distinguished road

14th April 2002, 11:40 AM

itna kahoon gi aap k bareh mein..likhateh boht acaha hai aap..aur lughut toh aap ki uffffff janab poochiyea hi maath..kia lughut hai! wah bhia..

llIfZ sImplY a mYsTerY I bEEn trYiN tO soLvE~

Old
  (#25)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

18th April 2002, 03:03 PM

uzma saheba

aapke aNdaaz-e-daad ne baDaa mutaasir kiya....aapka bohat mashkoor huuN....shukriya

aadaab
maikasH

maikash
Old
  (#26)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

18th April 2002, 03:15 PM

tanhadil sahab

aapne jis qadar khaaksaar ko izzat baKshi hai uske jawaab meN "shukria" jaisa lafz bohat choTa paD raha hai......phir bhi meri tasalli ke liya tah'e'dil se mera shukria kabool kijiye.....

guzishtaa chaNd dinoN se shayri.com ko ziyada waqt nahiiN de pa raha huuN jiska ki mujhe kitna afsos hai ye Ghaaliban mere ilaawa shayad ki koi bataa sake.....haalaat hi kuch aisey haiN ke ..kya kahiye...do-ek dostoN se muKhtsar si dua-salaam ho jaati hai vohi ganiimat samjhiye

phir se ek baar aapka dil ki gehraiiyoN se shukarguzaar huuN jo aapna itna hausla baDhaya....koshish karuNgaa ke jald hi koi ghazal mehfil ki nazr karuuN

aadaab
maikasH

maikash
Old
  (#27)
sweety420
sweety420 is on a distinguished road

14th May 2002, 06:47 PM

you guys are sooooo good

you know what would look good on you? Me

very helpful
Old
  (#28)
Mahek
Mahek will become famous soon enoughMahek will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up very helpful - 21st May 2002, 02:44 AM

oh hum to maiddaan-e-jung mein aa gaye! - j/k - shayri.com ki mehfil mein itna pyaar aur ek doosre ke liye izzat dekh kar hume lag raha hai ki is jagah se naataa jodne ka humara faisla bahut achcha raha - khair hum bas article post karne waale (maikash ji) ko shukirya kehne aaye the - hum jaiso ke liye, jo is sher-o-shayari ki duniya mein naye khiladi hain, yeh article bahut hi informative hain - vaise bahut achchi tarah se samjhaaya hai ki hume lagta hai ki ab hum bhi kuch likhne ki himmat kar sakte hain - once again thanks a lot for the enlightening words on the technical aspects of ghazal writing - aap sab ki shub-chintak
- Mahek -

zindagI jab bhI terI bazm mein LAtI hai hamein
ye zamIn chAnd se behatar nazar AtI hai hamein

surkh phUlon se MAHEK uThatI hain dil kI rAhen
din Dhale yUN terI AvAz bulAtI hai hamein
----------------------------------------------
taeray Gham ki KhuShbu say jism-o-jaaN MAHEK uTThay
saaNs ki havaa jab bhi Choo kay maeray lab guzri

aek saath reh kay bhi, door hi rahay ham bhi
dhoop aur Chaa'ooN ki dosti ajab guzri
  Send a message via Yahoo to Mahek  
very nice
Old
  (#29)
shayar_to_nahin
shayar_to_nahin is on a distinguished road

very nice - 19th November 2002, 11:34 AM

wah maikashji,

aap ka ghazal ke bare mein jo likha woh bahut pasand aaya, wakai aap ka ghazal ke bare mein bahut gnan hai aur ise mein appreciate karta hoon.

Keep going

bye.

don't forget me!!!

Old
  (#30)
rayyan_arfeen
rayyan_arfeen is on a distinguished road

Arrow 3rd January 2003, 02:44 PM

IN LAKEERON PE CHALNA SIKHAYA HAI TUNE.......
YAAD MEIN APNI JALNA SIKHAYA HAI TUNE.........
HUM TO DAAMAN BACHA KE NIKAL JAATE YOON HI......
AAG DAAMAN KO MERE DIKHAYA HAI TUNE.......

CLASSON MEIN RUSWA KARAYA HAI TUNE....
KAAM APNA TO KAR DIKHYA HAI TUNE.........
SOCH KAR AKSAR HAIRAAN HOTA HOON.....
MUJH KO DIN YE KAISA DIKHYA HAI TUNE.........

BADA MASHHOOR THA HUNSNE HASAANE KO....
HOTON SE TABASSUM CHURAYA HAI TUNE.......
TUJH KO KAISE DUA DOON KE KHUSH TO RAHE.....
MERI DUAOON KO BADDUA BANAYA HAI TUNE.......
MAIN TO ROSHAN BHI NA HO SAKA THA ABHI.....
CHADHTE SURAJ KO KAISE DUBOYA HAI TUNE.

jsd jd
  Send a message via Yahoo to rayyan_arfeen  
Old
  (#31)
rayyan_arfeen
rayyan_arfeen is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb 3rd January 2003, 02:50 PM

MUMKIN HAI TUM NA MIL PAAO MUJGE ......
MUMKIN HAI TUM BHOOL JAAO MUJHE......
KARO NA PYAAR MUJHSE TUM YE MUMKIN HAI........
NAA AAYE CHAMAN MEIN BAHHAR YE MUMKIN HAI........

HAI YE KAISE MUMKIN KE BHOOL JAAON TUJHE.......
HAI YE KAISE MUMKIN KE ROZ MAR JAAON.........
NAAM LENA TERA CHHOD DOON HAI YE KAISE MUMKIN........
HASEEN CHEHRA TERA BHOOL JAAON HAI YE KAISE MUMKIN.........

AB TO MUMKIN HAI KE BUS TERA INTEZAAR KAROON.........
TU NAA AYYE TO CHAAR KANDHE PE HOKE SAWAAR CHALOON...

jsd jd
  Send a message via Yahoo to rayyan_arfeen  
Old
  (#32)
mumtaz_09
mumtaz_09 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up 12th March 2003, 11:38 PM

thanks for providing such useful information about gazal writing.thank u once again.bye

mumtaz
  Send a message via Yahoo to mumtaz_09  
Old
  (#33)
sanjana_19
sanjana_19 will become famous soon enough

21st March 2003, 12:33 AM

dear writer this reply is in appreciation of the way you have described out a shayri i have read about this before but it sure would be very beneficial to the people who like writing but unfortunately wouldnt know much about it . take ccare andbye
sanjana

sanjana khanna

Old
  (#34)
sanjana_19
sanjana_19 will become famous soon enough

22nd March 2003, 12:52 AM

maikashji ive read and seen your work in the past really its making me respect you a lot i hope you reply soon you are really gifted maikash

sanjana

sanjana khanna

wishing u well
Old
  (#35)
abidhussain
abidhussain is on a distinguished road

wishing u well - 17th April 2003, 12:35 AM

thank you...

Abidhussain!!
Apni marzi se kaha apne safar ke hum hai,
Rukh hawaoo ka jidhar ka hai,udhar ke ham hai.

Old
  (#36)
aap_ka_dost
aap_ka_dost is on a distinguished road

9th June 2003, 06:04 PM

koshiish achhi ki hai aap ne ghazal or shayari main use hone wale technical alfaazo ki
waise kuch cheeze aap bhi galat likh gaye ho
n kuch miss kar gaye ho
aap ka dost

Old
  (#37)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

13th June 2003, 11:34 PM

janaab aap ka dost sb

tasleem

aapne farmaaya ke maine ye jo urdu shayiri ke mutalliQ chaNd buniyaadi baateN darj kii haiN usmeiN kahiiN aapko GhalatiyaaN nazar aayiiN.....huzuur maiN to khud taalib-e-ilm huN aur agar aap un GhalatiiyoN pe zara raushnii daal sakeN to mujh nalaayiq ko bhi kuch seekhne ka mauqaa milega......aur aapne arz kiya ke maine kuch 'miss' kiya .... aapne sau-fee-sadii durust farmaaya , maine 'kuch' hi nahiiN 'bohat kuch' miss kar diya , lekin maine jitni zaruurat samjhi utna hi likha hai ye to faqat do-chaar aisi baateiN haiN jo shayiir to kya shayiiri paDhne waale ko bhi maluum hue bina nahiiN rehtiiN . maine to ye un dost ehbaab ke liya likha hai jinka ke urdu shayiiri ke tachqniiqui pehluoN se kabhi vaasta hi nahiin paDaa

aur duusri baat ye ke shayri.com par agar ab aap urooz,taqtii,bah'r,arkaan,wazan vagheraa ko tafseel se samjhaane bhi chaleN to uske liye jo 'audience' darkaar hai voh yahaaN maujood nahiiN hai ....isliye maine is jagah ki rivaayat aur ma'haul ko madd-e-nazar rakhte hue utna hi likha jitna ke mujhe munaasib lagaa

aapse darkhuvaast hai ke jin laGhzishoN ka aapne takaaza kiya hai unki zaraa wajaahat farmaa deNge to mujh par baDaa ehsaan hoga

mujhe aapke awaabi khat ka intezaar rahega

aadaab
maikasH

maikash
Old
  (#38)
kshitiz
.. ek andaaz
kshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud of

15th June 2003, 08:01 PM

Maiksh ji ..

Really the basic points u have described above r too gud & essential to write a Ghazal .

Here i want to tell one more thing to my dear fredz that ..

A ghazal contains 5 to 11 shers & everyone is used to differ from another . mera matlab har sher ka mazmoon alag hota hai ..

thx maikash ji to write us .
Bye & Take Care .

andaaz

Old
  (#39)
maikasH
Birha Tu Sultan

17th June 2003, 04:25 AM

kshitiz saahab

aadaab

hausla-afzaayi ka shukriya miyaaN

jaise ke aapne kahaa ke Ghazal meiN kam-az-kam 5 ashaar hone zaruuri haiN , bilkul sahi kahaa lekin tradition aur ustaad hazraat ke hisaab se aik Ghazal meiN 5 se le kar 27 she'r kahe jaane ki ijaazat di gayi hai chunaaNche .. aaj-kal is paabaaNdii ki taraf ziyada zor nahiiN diya jaata isliye aap 5 se uupar jitne chaahe she'r keh sakte haiN....

aapki duusri baat se bhi kisi hadd tak maiN ittefaaq rakhta huuN ke Ghazal ka har she'r aapne aap meiN aik daastaaN hota hai yahi Ghazal ki khaasiiyat hai magar Ghazal ki aik qism aur hoti hai jismeN ke har she'r aik ki subject par kahe jaane ki ijaazat hai aur yuN aisi Ghazal aik kahaani ki suurat meiN saamne aati hai aisi Ghazal ko "Ghazal-e-musalsal" kahaa jaata hai

shukriya
maikasH

maikash
Old
  (#40)
kshitiz
.. ek andaaz
kshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud ofkshitiz has much to be proud of

17th June 2003, 07:47 PM

Maikash sahab ..

Bahut Bahut shukria Nacheez ke mashvarooN ko tavajjo dene ki ..

Main aapki baat se sahmat huN .. ki ..

Ghazal ki aik qism aur hoti hai jismeN ke har she'r aik ki subject par kahe jaane ki ijaazat hai aur yuN aisi Ghazal aik kahaani ki suurat meiN saamne aati hai aisi Ghazal ko "Ghazal-e-musalsal" kahaa jaata hai

maine to bas yoon hi aapki post padh kar ek common si ghazal ke bare me jikar kiya tha ..
Use durust karne ke liye shukria adaa karta huN ..

Ab ki ghazal writing pattern ke bare me jyada malumaat nahi magar According to old ghazal definition ek umda ghazal 5 se 11 sher ki paband hoti hai ..

dua ke saath ..

andaaz

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: