After The Rain
Old
  (#1)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!
zaynie is on a distinguished road

Post After The Rain - 13th February 2007, 06:25 AM

Dear Readers...
To those of you who haven't read my story "Making Memories"... well, i'd suggest you read that one first. It may be a little long, but this story will make alot more sense if you do. And to those of you who have already read my story "Making Memories"... my sincerest apology for disappearing for sooooo long. I was swamped with things to do, and had to compromise with my spare time. I have, however, got a fair bit done in the story to start posting it now. I won't waste time giving you a preview, because .. well... that was the first story! hehe... okay.
A special request, dosto.... omit the little errors of grammar and spelling... kuch kuch toh reh jata hai. And try to leave a review on what you think of the story. i don't mind critism, just as long as it isn't too harsh...yeh dil bada nazuk hain...

Okay, here we go! Enjoy everyone..

"Meri Duniya Hain...Tujme Kahin
Teri Bin Mein Kia...Kuch Bhi Nahin"

Old
  (#2)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

13th February 2007, 06:31 AM

One

Zoya watched colorful leaves lift up into the wind to dance upon the air. Seated at her usual spot under the willow tree, she saw the season come to an end before her eyes. It had been beautiful indeed, the season of fall. But now that it was ending, Zoya felt a sadness envelop her. Winter was edging its way closer, and soon the grounds would be covered in snow. The winds already carried a chill that compelled people to bundle up before leaving home. But it was in these last few days that Zoya tried to come out the most.
“Winter is coming, Atif.” She pulled her shawl closer, and watched a line of leaves rustle along the grass. “That means I won’t be coming as often as I’d like to.” After a pause, she said, “I wish the snow didn’t come. I don’t mind the cold. But the snow makes it practically impossible to get around.” She looked down at her feet. “You’d think I’d be used to it by now. But I don’t think I’ll ever be used to this, or life without you.”
Wiping a tear from the corner of her eye, she added, “Anyway, I’d better get going. Asma gets worried when I’m not home before she is. I think she worries too much about me. Just like you always did.”
As always, she took a single red rose from her bag and kissed it. “I miss you, Atif.” Leaning over, she placed it on the grass by the headstone that held his name.

In memory of Atif Mirza.
A loving son, brother, and husband.

~*~

“Bhabi!” Asma came home in good spirits. “Kahan ho?”
“I’m in here!” Asma followed her voice to her bedroom on the main floor of the house. She was sitting on her bed with one leg dangling over the edge. Her head was propped up on her elbow and she was looking out the window into the backyard.
“Did you miss me?” Asma asked giving her a kiss on the cheek.
“Bohut.” Zoya shifted a little to make room for her sister-in-law. “What are you smiling about?”
“I’ve got a surprise for you.” Asma couldn’t wait to show Zoya what she’d bought for her. “It’s in the living room.”
“A surprise? What is it?” Zoya liked surprises, as long as they were good ones.
“Well, you’ll have to come and see.” After a few minutes, Asma carefully helped Zoya into the living room. “Open your eyes.”
When Zoya saw what the surprise was, she was practically in tears. “Oh, Asma....”
It was a sparkling new wheelchair.
“Do you like it?” Asma had been trying to get one for the last year, but money had been tight. Gesturing towards the one Zoya was sitting in, Asma said, “Now, we can throw out that this piece of junk.”
Zoya wiped her tears away. “Are you sure we can afford it?”
“Positive. I’ve been saving up for it. I was going to wait until your birthday, but I thought you could make good use of it right now.” Asma crossed over and helped Zoya out of her old wheelchair and into the new one. “I bet it’ll it’s a much smoother ride.”
Zoya gave a push back. “Wow. It is smooth.”
“Do a full turn.” Asma said stepping back.
Zoya turned the wheelchair in a full circle and gave a delighted laugh. “Oh, Asma it’s wonderful!” Asma leaned over and gave Zoya a hug. “I don’t know how to thank you.”
"Your smile is all I need, Bhabi.”

Old
  (#3)
astha
not a shayar
astha is a jewel in the roughastha is a jewel in the roughastha is a jewel in the rough

13th February 2007, 08:35 PM

nice 2 c u bak

astha

i m an angel honest ...those horns are just there 2 hold my halo up!

Old
  (#4)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

16th February 2007, 01:51 AM

Thanks Astha. It's good to be back Here's the next chapter...

Two

“Good morning, Zeeshan.” Humza sat down at his desk and smiled at his co-worker. “How’s the design coming along?”
“Pretty good. But it still needs some fixes.” Zeeshan was finally getting used to his new surroundings. It had only been a month since he transferred from the other office, but it seemed as though he’d been working here for years.
“Great.” When Humza looked up he saw Asma step off the elevator, and he felt a hand squeeze around his heart. It had three years, but he still couldn’t forget what they’d had together. He noticed that she had gotten Zeeshan’s attention too. “Beautiful, isn’t she?”
Zeeshan smiled, and gave his head a little shake. He appreciated beauty when he saw it, but one glance was all he gave a pretty woman. “Only a blind man couldn’t see how beautiful she is, Humza.”
Zeeshan wasn’t oblivious to the aloofness between them. He knew they had a past together, but had thought it rude to ask.
After greeting them, she sat down in a nearby desk and turned on her laptop. “Are you guys coming to the Christmas party?”
“I don’t think so.” Humza said, shuffling through some papers. He didn’t bother looking up. “I’ve got some prior engagements.”
“Oh.” Asma looked away, and then quietly added, “Bhabi was looking so forward to seeing you.”
“Is she coming?” He did look up this time, and had a smile on his face. Humza hadn’t seen Zoya in ages. He’d cancel all of his appointments to meet her. “How’d you talk her into it?”
“Well…” Asma hadn’t talk to her about the party yet, but she just had to bring her this time. “It took a while.”
“If she’s coming, I’ll be there for sure.”
Zeeshan was surprised that Humza had changed his mind so quickly. He’d been telling him earlier that these appointments were very important. “What’s so special about your Bhabi, Asma?”
Asma gave a distant smile. “Just about everything. She’s like an angel from heaven.”
“Well, I guess I’m looking forward to meeting her then. Is your brother coming too?” Zeeshan saw her face pale a little, and wondered if he had said something wrong?
“My brother…” Without finishing the statement, she pushed away from the desk. “Excuse me.”
“What did I say?” He whispered to Humza, after she left.
“Asma’s brother died in a car accident. The same crash that left her angelic Bhabi in a wheelchair.”
“Oh, God.” He closed his eyes. “I’m sorry.”
“You didn’t know. Besides, she should be able to deal with it by now. It’s been three years.”
“The wounds of losing someone you love never heal, Humza. Never.” Zeeshan had lost a love, not to death, but to fate.
And even after seven years, his wounds were still fresh.

~*~

Zeeshan came home to find his mother busy in the kitchen. Coming up from behind, he put his arms around her. “Salaamvalaikum Ammi.”
“Valaikum salaam, beta. How was your day?” She patted his arm. “Bohut bhook lagi hogi tumko. Dinner’s almost ready.”
“It smells delicious. What’s on the menu?”
“Today I only had enough strength to cook daal chawal. I’m not as young as I used to be, beta.” Munira sat down at the kitchen table and wiped her forehead with her dupatta. “That’s why I keep telling you to get married. At least I’ll have someone to help me around the house. Itna badha ghar leke rak dia mujko. How am I supposed to do everything by myself?”
“Ammijaan, I offered to hire a maid, but you refused. I offered to have a cook come in and prepare dinner everyday, but you turned down that idea too.” He hated it when his mother brought up the word ‘marriage’. “I don’t want you doing everything yourself either, Ammi. But I’m not getting married.”
“Beta, kab tak?” Munira had definitely had enough of this nonsense. “Kab tak us Zoya ko dil mein basaa ke rakhega?” Her son had tortured himself long enough. “It’s been seven years, Zeeshan.”
“I know how long it’s been, Ammi.” Anger she could deal with. But the helplessness that she saw in his eyes made her heart ache. “I don’t get by a day without knowing it.”
“Zeeshan, beta. I just want you to be happy. She moved on, and I think that you should too. I’m only thinking of you. Kal main nahi houngi toh-,” Zeeshan stopped her from saying the rest.
“Ammi, aap kahin nahi jayengi. Allah aapko meri umar dai dai.” He put his arms around her. “You’re all I’ve got left.”

Next chapter tomorrow. Tell me what you think! Take care, bye...
~Zaynie

Old
  (#5)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

17th February 2007, 02:11 AM

Three

There had been a time when Zoya would have jumped at the idea of a party. Atif had taken her to so many parties and get-togethers. But without him, she didn’t think she’d enjoy them anymore.
When Asma came home, she had told Zoya about her Christmas party at work. And she wanted her to go with her.
“Asma, please. You know that I don’t like to go to parties.”
“I’m not taking ‘no’ for an answer. I’ve already told everyone you’re coming, and they’ll be expecting you.” Asma lay on the sofa with her head in Zoya’s lap.
“Asma…”
“Don’t ‘Asma’ me. I don’t want any excuses this time. You’re going, and that’s final.”
“But look at me! I look awful, I don’t have anything proper to wear, and I’ll seem like a fool dressing up in a wheelchair. The last thing those people need is a clown at the party.”
“Are you saying that people in wheelchairs can’t be pretty? You’re just as beautiful as you were before. The only thing that wheelchair has taken away from you is your self-respect.”
“Oh, please. My self-esteem is fine.” When Asma gave a hysterical laugh, Zoya pulled her ear. “And just to prove it to you, I’ll come to your silly party and meet your silly friends.”

~*~

Zoya woke up early the next day. She’d had a sweet dream about something, but couldn’t remember it clearly. All she remembered was that she had been happy, and the person in her dream was responsible for it.
At breakfast, Asma wondered what she was smiling about. “What’s up?”
“Hmm? Oh, nothing.” But there was still a smile lingering on her lips. “I just had a nice dream.”
“About what?” She said, taking a mouth full of cereal.
“I don’t remember, exactly. But I was with someone from a long time ago. And I was on my feet, walking. I guess, maybe that’s why I was happy.” Zoya tried to recall who it was. “It was someone close.”
“An old friend, maybe?” Asma got up to get some more milk. Teasingly, she added, “Or maybe a secret admirer.”
“Don’t be silly.” But as soon as Zoya heard the words, her mind settled on a familiar face from the past. Zeeshan.
The spoon slipped from her fingers and spilt the contents in her lap. “Oh!”
Asma laughed, and passed her a napkin. “So, it was a secret admirer.”
“Asma, shut up.” But as she wiped at the stain, her thoughts were still lurking in the past. It had been long time since she’d thought of him, or of those carefree days in high school. But she’d never forgotten him, or the times she’d enjoyed in his company.
“Well, anyway. I’m glad you had a nice dream.” Asma hurried to finish her breakfast, and got up to leave for work. “I’ll call you as soon as I finish work. We’ve got an appointment at five-thirty.”
“Appointment? Where?” Zoya dropped the napkin on the table, her thoughts forgotten. She had no idea what Asma was talking about. “For what?”
“At the Beauty Salon. We’ve got you to get you ready for that party.” Laughing at the astonished look on her face, she gave her a kiss and was out the door.
How could she have forgotten the party? What was she going to do? She hadn’t been to any social gathering since… the accident.
She’d suddenly lost her appetite. Throwing out the rest of her cereal, she cleaned up and went to her room. As she entered through the door, Zoya saw her own reflection in the closet mirror. She looked horrible. Her once beautiful curly black hair was dreadfully unleveled and had lost its shine. Her eyes were dark and empty, her cheeks were pale, and her lips were dry and bare.
She grabbed the crutches standing next to her dresser, and carefully settled her weight on them. Being careful not to put weight on her right knee, she stood up and looked at the rest of herself.
She’d put on a few extra pounds after being confined to the wheelchair. And the baggy clothes didn’t help her figure. Although the doctor had given her an exercise routine, Zoya had never bothered to follow through on it. She didn’t see a point in keeping fit when it didn’t matter anymore.
She settled back into her wheelchair and went to her closet. Most of her pretty outfits were at the back of the wardrobe zipped up in bags, never to be worn again. Besides, she wasn’t sure they’d fit her anymore. How could she dress up to go to a party in a wheelchair? People would think she was mad.
Disgusted with herself, she started rummaging through the drawers to look for something decent to wear. She went through all of them one by one, without any luck. When she came to the last one, however, she came across something rather familiar.
Holding the amulet in her palm, Zoya looked at it long and hard. A smile formed on her lips when she remembered its significance. It had been a parting gift from Zeeshan. It had meant so much to her, but she had completely forgotten that she’d had it. She brought it to her lips and kissed it, feeling a sense of joy tingle through her. Carefully, she tied the thread around her neck and held the amulet in her hand. Then closing her eyes, she said a little prayer. Wherever you are, Zeeshan, I hope that you’re in good health, and if you haven’t already found happiness in life, then you do very soon.

~Well, that's another chapter.... Hope you all are enjoying. Take care...
will post again tomorrow... -z

Old
  (#6)
astha
not a shayar
astha is a jewel in the roughastha is a jewel in the roughastha is a jewel in the rough

19th February 2007, 06:25 PM

wen u gonna post nxt ch.?

astha

Old
  (#7)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

20th February 2007, 06:25 AM

Four

“So, are you going to tell me what happened between you and Asma? Or am I going to have to keep guessing?” Once a week, Zeeshan and Humza had coffee together at the mall. It was one way to relieve some stress from the day’s work.
After taking a sip of his coffee, he said, “We were engaged.”
“Engaged?” That was the last thing Zeeshan had expected.
Humza set his cup down. “Yes, engaged.”
“What happened?” When Humza let out a sigh, Zeeshan figured it might be hard on him to talk about it. “Sorry. If its too-,”
“No, its okay.” He thought for a second. “A couple of weeks after the accident, Asma started avoiding me. I knew she was going through a rough time, and I just wanted to help her. But every time I tried to talk to her, she pushed me aside. One night, when I’d had enough, I showed up at her house. Only…” He paused, and took a gulp of coffee.
“What?” Zeeshan urged on.
“Asma’s Bhabi answered the door. She was in a wheelchair. Asma hadn’t told me that the accident had smashed her right knee, leaving her unable to walk. When I spent the evening with them, and saw the way Asma was taking care of her, I figured it all out.”
“Figured what out?”
“Asma’s mother died from cancer a year after her brother’s marriage. After the accident, Asma and Zoya were the only two left in the house. If Asma got married, nobody would be there to take care of her.”
“But there were so many options…”
“I know, and I gave Asma about a dozen of them. I even offered to have Zoya move in with us. But she-,”
“Zoya?” Even after so many years, the name still pulled at his heart.
“Yeah, her Bhabi. I would have done anything, but Asma was bent on her decision.” Zoya was a wonderful person, and Humza would really have done anything to help her. But seeing and working with Asma everyday was torturing him. The pain was draining him day by day.
“So …Asma’s not just another pretty face.” Zeeshan said. “I guess figuring that out made it harder for you to forget her.”
“Actually, I’ve ended up loving her even more than before.”
“Sacrificing your love for someone else’s happiness is no small deed. And I’m sure whoever does, will get its bounty one day.” Zeeshan believed that with all his heart. It was the only reason he was still alive.

~*~

Zoya barely recognized her reflection. “Melinda, you’re a magician.”
“My dear, I’m only a beautician. You’re the one with the magic in you.” She gave her client another look, and smiled. “I’ve only helped bring it out for the world to see.”
“You certainly have, Melinda. Zoya looks gorgeous!” Asma was pleased to see her Bhabi smiling. “You like the cut, Bhabi?”
“I love it!” When she shook her head a bit, her black curls danced around her face. “It’s so much lighter. And look at my curls! Look how they shine! It’s wonderful! Thank you, so much.” Zoya couldn’t believe how great she felt. Leaning closer to the mirror, she examined herself once again. The facial had brought a little color back into her cheeks, and hopefully it would only improve her skin within a few days. Wrinkling her nose she said, “My nose is sparkling.”
Asma laughed and gave Zoya a kiss on the cheek. “Are you happy?”
“More than happy. Thank you, Asma.” She returned her love, and held her for a while. “I really needed this.”
Pulling away, Asma beamed. “We’re not done yet!”
After saying good-bye to Melinda, they went to Asma’s favorite clothing boutique. “Asma, I could just find something to wear from home. We’ve already spent so much.”
“Ssh. I can’t concentrate.” Asma picked out a couple of sweaters and showed them to Zoya. “Green or blue?”
“Pink.” Zoya loved pink, and Asma hated it. When she gave her a disgusted look, Zoya laughed. “I happen to like pink.”
“We’re buying a sweater, not a dress.”
“So? I can wear a pink sweater.” So it was settled. Asma picked out a beautiful cashmere sweater in a rosy pink.
“Would you like pink pants to go with that?” Asma teased. “Or will black be okay?”
“Black will be fine.”
And so after arguing over a few other designs and colors, both of them decided a coffee would help settle them down.

~I got sooo busy with problems at work that i completely forgot to post. So sorry. So howz it so far? liking it? okay, next chapter has important scene coming up tomorrow!!!!
~Bye for now...Zaynie

Old
  (#8)
astha
not a shayar

20th February 2007, 01:15 PM

yeah ..its goin gr8 . waitin 4 nxt.

astha

Old
  (#9)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

22nd February 2007, 06:14 AM

Five

Zoya waited by a table while Asma went to get coffee and donuts. She looked around, and watched people walk by laughing or yelling on their cell phone.

When she got tired of waiting, Zoya figured she’d go and see what was taking Asma so long. But when she turned her wheelchair, she bumped into someone. The shopping bags on her lap fell onto the floor.

Both Zoya and the fellow she had bumped into apologized at the same time. The man bent down to pick up her bags, and then looked up to meet her eyes.

“Thank y-,” Zoya’s voice caught in her throat when she saw his face.

Zeeshan’s felt like the wind just got knocked out of him. “Zoya?”

He blinked, and looked at her again, trying to believe the vision in front of him. Curly black tendrils framed her pretty face, and big chocolately eyes looked at him with shock. Not a vision or a dream, but for real. Taking one glance at her wheelchair, his voice went thick with emotion. “What...?”

“It’s… a long story.” She said looking down at her hands. “How are you? It’s been so long.”

“Yeah. Too long.” Zeeshan didn’t know what he was feeling. After saying good-bye to her so long ago, he’d never thought he’d see her again. Especially not like this. He smiled a little. “I, uh… just moved into the area a couple of months ago.”

“Really? That’s great. Is your mom here too? How is she?” Zoya tried to sound excited, but in reality she was as nervous as a sitting duck. She didn't even know she was starting to babble.

“She’s well. I bought a little house on Sunrise St, by the brook. She likes it here already.” Zeeshan felt uneasy standing over her, so he stepped back. “Can we have a coffee? I mean, if…”

“Actually, I’m-,” But just as Zoya was going to mention her, Asma came up from behind.

“Hi, Zeeshan!” She looked at the bags in his hands, and then at her Bhabi. Smiling, she asked, “Did Bhabi almost run you over?”

“This is your Bhabi?” Zeeshan felt his knees go weak. Oh, God. His mind started putting the pieces together. Asma’s brother died in a car crash. And his wife… No. He met Zoya’s eyes. He saw a worried look in them, and some how understood her.

“Bhabi, this is Zeeshan. We work together.” She looked back at Zeeshan and introduced him. “Zeeshan, this is my wonderful Bhabi Zoya.”

Still a little shaken up, he replied, “It’s… nice to meet you.”

Zoya smiled faintly, but relief showed in her eyes when he didn’t mention of their former acquaintance. “It’s a pleasure, Zeeshan.”

“Hey, why don’t you join us?” Asma gestured towards the box of donuts in her hand. “Chocolate glazed…”

“Sure.” He idly looked at his watch, and then at Zoya. “I think I can spare a few minutes.” When Zeeshan took a seat across from Zoya, she mouthed a ‘thank you’. He winked at her in reply, making her blush.

Asma took a seat next to him, and soon they were talking about some work issues. Zoya sat quietly, listening to them. But her thoughts were someplace else. In the last few minutes, her stomach had preformed a series of somersaults and she wasn’t sure what to make of them. She was a grown woman, yet here she was reacting like a silly teenager. Sneakily, when she was sure that he wasn’t looking, she took a good look at Zeeshan.

He looked different, yet… the same. His face had matured a little, and the dimples in his cheeks were more prominent when he talked. His black hair was still thick and unruly, but long enough to tease the collar of his shirt. The rest of him, Zoya noticed with color in her cheeks, was definitely different. His shoulders were broader, and well-built. Even in his arms were thick with muscles that pulled against the fabric of his shirt. He reminded Zoya of the Greek Gods she’d learned about in school.

Zeeshan felt her eyes on him, yet didn’t look her way. His mind was still muddled with what he’d just found out, and he wasn’t sure what to say to her.

But when Asma’s cell phone rang, she excused herself and left the table. Having no choice left, Zeeshan turned to face Zoya.

Zoya quickly looked away, and found something to stare at on the table.

Quietly, Zeeshan said, “I’m sorry about the accident. And about your husband.”

Usually, the mention of Atif brought grief. But after practically drooling over Zeeshan, she felt shame and guilt find its way through her. Absolutely disgusted with herself, she cleared her throat and replied, “So am I.”

“So… How are you?” Just as soon as he said it, he felt like an idiot. Anyone could see that she wasn’t good.

“I’m fine.” Zoya said, smiling. “How have you been?”

Zeeshan saw her smiling. He had known that she had a strong soul, but now he was positive. Having been to hell and back in the last three years, he would have thought she’d forgotten to live. But there was still a smile on her face. He smiled back. “I’ve been good.”

“I’m sorry I almost ran you over…”

“Actually, now I’m kind of glad you almost did. Otherwise, how would we have met?” Warmth spread inside him when he heard the sound of her laughter. He’d dreamed of her so many times, but he’d never heard her voice or even her laughter in any of his dreams. Only a glimpse of her face, and then she’d be gone. “I never thought we’d meet again.”

“Me neither. Um, thanks for not saying anything…” She said uneasily. “Asma would be upset if she knew about us.”

Us. Zeeshan grinned. She hadn’t even realized what she’d just said. Unable to resist, he said, “I didn’t know there ever was an ‘us’.”

Zoya mentally kicked herself. What the hell was she saying? “I mean, that we ever knew each other… that we were… friends.”

“Why?”

“Because...” Zoya was tongue-tied. She hadn’t the slightest clue as to why.

He waited for a minute. “Fine. I won’t say anything. But she’ll find out eventually.”

“W-what?” But before Zoya could ask ‘how’ Asma came back and sat down.

“Sorry. It was Stacey. She was having some problem with the design. I told her we’ll discuss it tomorrow.” When she saw that Zoya’s face was pale, Asma got worried. “Are you okay, Bhabi?”

Dazed, Zoya looked at her. “Huh?”

“You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Asma took her hand. “Are you feeling okay?”

“I’m fine.” She said finally looking away from Zeeshan.

Zeeshan pushed away from the table. “I think I’d better get going. I’ll see you at work, Asma.” Then turning to Zoya, he held out his hand. He saw her hesitate a bit before taking it. “It was a pleasure, Zoya. I’ll look forward to seeing you again.”

Zoya felt a spark flow through her when their hands connected. He held her hand for a few seconds and looked into her eyes. Then clearing his throat, he grabbed his jacket and said, “Good-night, girls.”

Zoya watched him walk away, her hand still tingling from his touch.

~Soooo sorry i forgot to post yesterday. It was such a hectic day. My bhaiya and bhabs anniversary.... so much commotion... Neway, this was a special chapter, and i hope you all enjoyed it. Thanks for reading. I'll post again tomorrow. I'm having writer's block for the last couple of days, so i'm stuck on my story. But don't worry. I've got enough chapters written to keep posting...

Okay, bye for now!
~Zaynie

Old
  (#10)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

23rd February 2007, 06:20 AM

Six

Huge snowflakes drifted through the night air, making everything look magical. Every surface visible to the human eye seemed to be covered in white. Zoya loved it when it snowed, but only from the inside of a window. She hated getting out in the cold, wet snow.

“The snow chose a fine day to come down on us.” Asma said as she unfolded Zoya’s wheelchair. Then she carefully helped Zoya into it. “Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be.” Zoya felt like a kid going to school for the first time. Her stomach was in knots, and she kept fidgeting with her clothes. Hiding under her winter cloak, was a beautiful pink cashmere sweater and silky black slacks. The entire outfit screamed with style. Which was exactly why Zoya was so nervous.

As she rode up the side ramp, Zoya shivered. Not from the cold, but from the butterflies in her stomach. She knew it was because Zeeshan was going to coming tonight. It was silly to feel nervous because she knew there was nothing left between them. But still, her heart jumped at the thought of him.

Taking a deep breath, she entered through the double French doors and into the banquet hall.

~*~

Humza saw Asma come in through the side door. Zoya, who guided her wheelchair alongside of her, waved when she saw him. He waved back, and went to greet them. “Did you have trouble getting here?”

“No, it was fine.” Asma let herself smile at his concern. “Is Zeeshan here yet?”

“Not yet. He just called and said he’s on his way.” He looked down at Zoya. “I’m so glad you came, Zoya.” He took her hand and held it. “You look lovely.”

Then he looked at back at Asma. Just like always, she looked gorgeous. Silky brown hair fell around her face, and a glow illuminated her face. Her big green eyes had happiness in them, not for herself but for her Bhabi.

Asma felt her cheeks burn when he smiled at her. Three years, and she was still hopelessly in love with him. She feared that Zoya would notice, so she looked away. Vaguely, she waved at a few familiar faces. “Bhabi, why don’t you two catch up on things, while I go say ‘hello’ to a few friends?”

“Sure, go ahead. We’ll sit and chat.” They settled down at an empty table. Humza took aside a chair, and helped Zoya position her wheelchair into the vacant space. “Thank you, Humza.”

He sat down next to her. “It’s great to see you after so long.”

“It has been long, hasn’t it?” Looking down, she added, “Ever since you two broke up, I haven’t seen you. How have you been?”

“I’ve been great. I’m sorry I haven’t kept in touch. It’s just…” Asma had asked him not to. “I’ve been so busy.”

“It’s okay; I understand. Asma tells me your team has been given a new development design. She’s working on it like crazy.”

“Yeah, I bet she is. It was her dream project. We’re all working our butts off to get it done.” Humza got up. He’d totally forgotten his manners. “I’m sorry; let me get you something to drink. Fruit punch?”

“Fruit punch would be nice.”

“I’ll be right back.” And he hurried away to get her a drink.

~*~

Zoya sat twiddling her thumbs, and glancing at the door every two seconds. Why wasn’t Zeeshan here yet? She looked around, thinking that maybe he had already arrived and was mingling with friends. After all, she didn’t expect him to come straight to see her.

“Who are you looking for?” A voice whispered in her ear from behind.

“Oh!” Zoya jumped, putting a hand on her throat. When Zeeshan laughed, she glared at him. “Don’t do that.”

“Sorry.” He replied, coming around her wheelchair. Chuckling to himself, he added, “But I meant to do that.”

He took a second to look at her. She looked beautiful; enough to take his breath away. “You look stunning, Zoya.”

She felt warmth spread across her face. “Um… thanks.”

He smiled and pulled out a bunch of roses from behind his back. “Beautiful roses for a beautiful woman.”

“For me?” Zoya’s face split into a smile. She loved roses! She took the bouquet in her hands and buried her nose in them. A giggle escaped her lips, before she could stop herself. “Oh, they’re gorgeous! Thank you, Zeeshan.”

Zeeshan laughed. “If I knew it would make you this happy, I would have bought out the entire shop.”

“Sorry. It’s just nobody has given me roses in so long…”

“Hey,” he cut off her sentence. He wanted her to smile, and remembering anything from the past would make her gloomy. “…Only happy thoughts tonight.”

She shook away the sadness and smiled again. “Thank you, Zeeshan.”

When Humza came back with her drink, he smiled upon seeing the flowers. “Now, why didn’t I think of that?”

Zeeshan scratched his chin, thinking of something to say.

“Humza, really now. It’s just… a thoughtful gesture.” Zoya said placing the bouquet on the table. And it was just as well that Asma came and made a similar remark to Humza’s.

“Hey, how come I didn’t get any flowers?” She asked with a fake pout.

Humza picked a carnation out of the vase on the table and handed it to Asma. “Here. Happy?”

Kunjooce.” She said, but took the flower anyway.

When all four of them had settled down at the table and started chatting, Humza quietly asked Zeeshan. “Hey, what’s up with the flowers?”

Frustrated that flowers could cause such a fuss, he replied quietly, “Nothing, man. I just thought it would be courteous.”

“Well, it did the trick. Look at that smile.” He followed Humza’s gaze and saw Zoya laughing at something Asma had said. Like everything in her world was perfect. “Good job, yaar.”

I’m going to make your world perfect again, Zoya. He caught a sparkle on her ring finger. It was, obviously, her wedding ring. I may not be able to fill the gap he left in you, but I’m going to try healing the wounds in your heart.

~Hello, everyone! well, what do you think so far? Reviews pple! reviews! hehe.. okay gtg, take care and hope you enjoyed!
~Zaynie

Old
  (#11)
astha
not a shayar

23rd February 2007, 12:44 PM

m nt tht gud wid words..so i don reply on evry ch. bt m luvin readin it

astha

Old
  (#12)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

25th February 2007, 04:51 AM

Seven

After dinner, some people headed back to the dance floor, while others stayed at their table and talked over the music. When a slow song started playing, people paired up and started swaying to the music.
When Asma saw a fellow worker walking towards their table, she tried to hide behind Zoya. But his smile told her that he’d already seen her. “Shit, he saw me.”
“What? Who?” Zoya turned and saw a familiar guy coming their way. “Oh, you mean John?”
“Yes.” She hissed. “He’s been driving me crazy for weeks!”
When Humza saw John coming to their table, he had put his mind to work right away. Before she could guess his intention, Humza pulled her onto the dance floor.
“Wha-,” Asma’s breath caught in her throat when he put his hands on her waist. She looked up into his eyes, her mouth hanging open in wonder.
“Close your mouth.” Humza said. “I’m just doing you a favor.”
Slightly embarrassed, she put her hands on his shoulders. “Well, you could have at least been a little polite about it. Like asking if I even wanted to dance with a stiff like you.”
In the last three years, she had perfected the technique of making his temper boil. In reply, Humza pulled her closer and tightened his hold on her a little. Only because he knew it would annoy her. “Just shut up and dance, Asma.”
Making him angry was just a way of hiding her feelings. But it had never led to something like this. When he pulled her close enough to smell his aftershave, she lost herself in past memories. Forgetting everything, she laced her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder, just like she used to so long ago.
Humza felt his pulse quicken when she put her arms around him. She hadn’t been this close to him since, what seemed like, forever. His mind went a little mushy with her clinging to him like this. Gently, he rested his cheek on her soft silky hair, breathing in the fragrance of wildflowers. Then suddenly, he remembered that Zoya could be watching them. What the hell were they doing!? He cleared his throat, and said, “Asma…”
But her head was still in the clouds.
“Ah… Zoya might wonder…” He tried to sound nice.
She looked up at him, with a dazed expression on her face. A man could drown in eyes as green as hers. Finally, she snapped back to reality. Quickly putting a couple of inches between them, she said, “I’m so sorry. I-I don’t know what got into me.”
“It’s okay.” He mumbled. Whatever it had been, he was glad it was gone. Because he wasn’t sure he could have endured the pain much longer.

~*~

After the song ended, there were a few other numbers that people danced to. But Asma had disappeared after the first one, and was nowhere to be seen. Humza had a feeling she was trying to avoid him, so he let it be. But Zoya seemed a little tense.
She interrupted their conversation to ask Humza if he’d go find her.
Humza obliged, and left Zoya in Zeeshan’s care. He didn’t see her anywhere in the room, so he tried in the corridors. Just when he was heading outside to check, Asma emerged from the restrooms, her eyes red.
“Asma.” He called out. She took one look at him and hurried towards the hall.
Cursing under his breath, he went after her. Pushing past a few people, he caught up with her and twirled her around right at the doorway. “Will you at least answer me?”
“Go away, Humza.” Asma said shrugging off his hand.
“Why were you crying?” He asked, though he had a general idea.
“It’s none of your business.” She shot back without looking him in the eye.
“You’re right.” It hurt to hear her say that. Frustrated, he huffed out a breath. “It isn’t any of my business.”
They were standing at the entrance of the hall, and Humza didn’t want to create a scene. “Zoya was worried and sent me to look for you.”
“Well, I’m fine.” She said stubbornly.
When they moved aside to let a couple pass, they heard someone whistle at them. They both turned their heads to see Monica grinning at them. “What?”
In reply she smirked and pointed above their heads. “Looks like you two got caught under the mistletoe.”
Asma and Humza looked up together. There hung a small leafy green plant, waiting for it’s victims to carry out the traditional custom.
“Well!? Kiss her already!” Monica shouted from where she stood, causing a few heads to turn and smile.
Asma cheeks burned with embarrassment. Now, how was she going to pull herself out of this one?
Humza shoved his hands in his pockets. “Come on, Monica. It’s just a silly mistletoe. How about we just let it pass.”
“It may be a silly mistletoe, but tradition is still tradition.” She replied, taking a sip of champagne. “And no little pecks on the cheek. It’s got to be on the lips or it’s cheating.”
There was no way around it. Monica wouldn’t let them get away with it. Fed up with the mischievous grins from the on-lookers, Asma pulled Humza by the collar and kissed him.
Caught unaware, Humza wasn’t sure what hit him. But when he felt Asma’s lips on his, he didn’t let her pull away. He kissed her back, and was surprised when she didn’t push him away. After a few seconds of being completely lost in each other, they started hearing cat-calls in the background.
When they pulled away, most of the audience was lost. But one smart aleck shouted. “Hey Monica! How come you didn’t kiss me like that?”
Asma hurried away to their table, but Humza didn’t follow. Instead he stepped out into the cold winter night, and breathed in the frigid air. Despite the cold, he felt warm on the inside. From the way Asma had let him kiss her, he had discovered something incredible. Not everything was lost yet. She might still love him.
The realization brought a smile on his face. Closing his eyes, he said a silent prayer. Please, God, make a way for us to be together.

~Hello Everyone.... well, that's the next chapter... Hope you enjoyed it. Astha, you won't believe how much power your few words hold. It keeps me going! neway, thanks for taking the time to reply... It meant alot. Keep reading, and i'm sorry if i miss a day in posting....
Okay, gtg. Take care,
~Zaynie....

Old
  (#13)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

25th February 2007, 05:11 AM

Eight

Zeeshan had been talking about something rather interesting, when Asma came back. Seeing her face flushed to the roots of her hair, Zoya wondered, “What happened?”
“Nothing.” She said sitting down rather quickly. She put on a fake smile.
Zoya could tell there was something wrong, but she didn’t ask again. She’d wait until they were alone. “Well, anyway. Zeeshan was saying your team has to make a trip up north next weekend.”
Asma looked at Zeeshan. Zoya wasn’t supposed to know that. “Yes, but I already spoke with Mr. Gibbons. He said Zeeshan and Humza are enough to represent our team. Stacey isn’t going either.”
“Why don’t you go? Or even better, I was thinking maybe…that we could go together. That’s if your boss would allow it.”
Asma thought for a minute. It was brilliant, but there was one minor problem. Or rather, a major problem. She’d have to spend the entire weekend with Humza. And after what had just happened under the mistletoe, she wasn’t sure that was such a good idea.
“I don’t think Mr. Gibbons would have a problem. But I was more concerned that the trip would drain your energy. You haven’t been on a long drive in a while. You get restless, remember?”
Zoya knew that was true. She got dreadfully restless on long drives.
“You could ride with me.” Zeeshan suggested. “My car is pretty comfortable.”
“No, I don’t want to be any trouble to you.” Zoya said quickly. But the idea of taking the drive with him sounded nice. Almost too good to be true.
“I’d enjoy your company.” Then turned to Asma and said, “It turns out that Zoya and I have a lot of common interests.”
“Oh. Well, that’s good.” Asma got a little distracted when she saw Humza coming back.
He sat down next to Zeeshan. “What’s being planned without me?”
“It has nothing to do with you.” Asma said crudely.
“Actually, it does.” Zeeshan said, then explained things to Humza. “So you see, Asma, if Zoya is riding with me then Humza’s stuck with you.”
Humza laughed at the use of words. Dramatically, he said, “Please, just kill me now.”
Asma glared at him. “I don’t need a lift from you. I’ll drive there myself.”
“Oh, stop it.” Zoya said to the both of them. There was no way she’d let Asma drive alone all the way. “Zeeshan, thanks for the offer, but I don’t think I’ll be coming.”
“But…” Zeeshan’s heart sank. The reason he’d told Zoya about the trip was so she’d come with them. And his plan had been going perfectly, until these two idiots had shown up. Hearing Humza’s voice he looked up hopefully.
“I’m sorry. Let’s start again.” Humza said to Asma. Putting on a sly smile, he said “Asma, my dear, would you grace my Volvo with your presence on our trip to Greenwood. It would truly be an honor.”
Zeeshan and Zoya both burst out laughing. Even Asma bit back a smile. Humza waited for her to answer. Letting out a little chuckle, she stated, “You’re just too much, Humza. You know that?”
“I know. Now, will you join me or not?” He asked impatiently.
“Fine.” But she still had her doubts.
“So it’s settled then?” Zeeshan said quickly. “No fighting on the way, okay kids?” He earned a punch in the arm from Humza. “Ouch.”
“Are you sure, I won’t be a nuisance to you, Zeeshan?” Zoya asked with a fretful look. “I’d hate to cause you any trouble…”
“Don’t worry.” Zeeshan replied with a grin. “I’m sure I can handle you.”
~Don't ask about the font, i have no idea why it's like that sometimes. Neway this is next chapter....enjoy!

Old
  (#14)
astha
not a shayar

25th February 2007, 11:48 AM

wel m more comfortable wid dis font .. coz of d size waitin 4 nxt ch.

astha

Old
  (#15)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

26th February 2007, 04:00 AM

Nine

After parking his car, Zeeshan sat in the darkness of his garage thinking of Zoya, and of how beautiful she had looked tonight.
Finally, he stepped out of his car and went inside. His mother had fallen asleep on the sofa, obviously waiting up for him. Feeling a little guilty, he tiptoed across the room, and knelt down in front of her. Quietly, he whispered, “Sorry, Ammi. I tried to leave early. But every time I got up, she told me to stay.”
Carefully, he lifted his mother into his arms and took her upstairs to her room. After tucking her in, he turned to leave. But when he got to the doorway, he heard his mother’s voice. “Naam toh bata dai uska.”
He winced. Shit. What was he going to say? “Ah…”
Apni ma ko nahi batayega?” She sat up a little.
Ammi…” He came over and sat down next to her. “Maine kabhi aap se kuch chupaya hain? I was going to tell you, but…”
“ ‘But’ tera sar…” She pushed his hand away when he reached for it. “Pehla naam bata.”
Raking a hand through his messed up hair, and mumbled. “Zoya.”
Kia?” She thought she heard 'Zoya'. "Phir se kaho.
Zoya.” He repeated more slowly. He turned to look her in the eye. “The same Zoya that I lost seven years ago.”
Beta, yeh kia keh raha hain tu?” Munira wasn’t sure she could believe what her son was saying. Having her doubts, she leaned close and sniffed him. “Have you been… drinking?”
Despite the tenseness, he laughed out loud. “Ammi! I’m serious.”
Lekin beta, …Zoya?” Munira couldn’t believe her ears. “She’s here?”
This time when he took her hand, she let him. “Jee, Ammi.”
He told her how they’d met at the mall, and she turned out to be Asma’s Bhabi. Then he told her about the accident. Upon hearing the news, Munira’s face went pale. “Oh, the poor girl. She can’t walk at all?”
“Well,” Zeeshan thought for a moment. He really wasn’t sure. “I don’t know. I didn’t ask.”
“Well, you couldn’t really ask a question like that.” Smiling, she wondered, “Was she happy to see you?”
“We were both shocked at first.” Zeeshan replied with a chuckle. “But, I guess she seemed pretty happy.”
“Well, that’s a good start.” Munira patted his hand lightly.
“She’s coming to Greenwood with me next weekend.”
“Really?”
“I asked her to ride with me.”
Are, vah!” He was turning out to just like his father. “Din ba din chalak hota ja raha hain tu. Anyway, what’d she say?”
“She agreed.” He said with a nervous grin.
“Well, you’d better be good company. It’s a long drive.” Munira mentally started making a list of things to give along for Zoya. “I’ll have to cook something special. You won’t be having any of that junk food…”
“I found out that she loves biryani. Maybe you could…”
Biryani is a good idea.” She looked at him. After a pause, she quietly asked, “You still love her, don’t you beta?”
“I-I…” He did. A wheelchair couldn’t weaken his love for Zoya. “I do, Ammi. Apni zindagi seh bhi bard kar.”
Toh phir meri dua tumare saath."
~*~
Zoya lay awake well after midnight. The entire house was quiet, with only the sounds of the wind knocking against the windows. For some reason, she couldn’t find sleep. Whenever she closed her eyes, she saw Zeeshan’s face. His smile, the way he kept looking at her throughout the party. Could it be that he still…?
No, it was impossible. Besides, she wasn’t even sure that he had truly loved her seven years ago. It was a silly thought, and she tried to dismiss it but yet it still kept coming back. She turned her face away from the wall and her gaze fell upon her Atif’s photo frame.
Atif. Guilt crawled up her throat. I’m sorry, Atif. I shouldn’t even be thinking about him. I don’t know what’s gotten into me. He’s just trying to be friendly, and here I am weaving dreams. Please, forgive me.
She slipped into a restless sleep, with images of Atif in her mind.
Zoya held Atif’s hand, climbing a rugged terrain. There was a never-ending ditch below.
“It’s only a little farther, Jaan.” She heard Atif’s voice.
“It’s so high. I’m scared, Atif.” Zoya tightened her grip on his hand.
When Atif’s foot slipped, Zoya opened her mouth to scream, but no sound came out. He was fallen towards ditch. “Atif!”
She caught his hand, but just barely. Soon, she was slipping over the egde too. “Don’t let go, Atif!”
But he was too heavy for her, and his hand slipping. He looked at her. “Zoya… I love you.”
“Atif, don’t!” She tried to pull him up, but her strength wasn’t enough. “Kuch nahi hoga tumhe!”
“Live for me, Zoya.” He knew that if he held on long too long, he’d pull Zoya with him, so he pried her hand away.
“Noooo! Atif! Atif!” She was screaming his name as she watched him fall into the darkness, a sense of emptiness filling her. Her hands and face was full of mud and dirt. She got up on her feet, and looked down into the ditch.
Without Atif, there was nothing left for her in the world. Her life seemed meaningless without love. What would she do all alone here? If she jumped, she could be with Atif. She took a step towards the ditch. Just as she was going to take the plunge, a hand circled her waist and pulled her away from edge.
Zoya looked down at the strong hand around her, and then turned her head to see his face. “Zeeshan?”
He cupped her face, wiping away the tears mixed with the dirt. “I’ve lost you once, Zoya. I can’t lose you again.”

~Well, that's the next chapter. Still busy typing away, hope you enjoyed. Take care....
~Zaynie

Old
  (#16)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

28th February 2007, 01:20 AM

Ten

Even though she’d had the dream nearly a week ago, Zoya still felt chills every time she remembered it. She’d tried to convince herself that it had been a result of her thoughts before falling asleep that night.
Shaking off the goose bumps, she proceeded to pack her things for Saturday’s excursion to Greenwood. She couldn’t believe she’d agreed to go with him. But Zeeshan had pointed out that maybe if Asma and Humza spent some time together, they might make amends. It made sense.
After packing a couple of pairs of clothes, she went into the washroom to gather her medications. When the phone rang, she practically jumped out of her chair. She wheeled into the room, and grabbed the phone off her side table. “Hello?”
“Zoya?”
Zeeshan? She felt her heartbeat quicken. “Hi.”
“How are you?”
“I’m fine.” Since they’d met three weeks ago, he had never called her. “Is everything okay?”
“Yeah, everything’s fine.” Silence.
“How’s your-,”
“I just-,” Zeeshan said at the same instant. They both laughed together. Then he said, “Sorry, you first.”
“How’s your mom?”
“She’s fine.” Zeeshan looked at his mom and smiled. “She’s says ‘Salaam’.
“Give her my ‘Salaam’ too.” She looped the cord around her finger until the tip turned pink. She waited for him to say something.
“Are you ready for Saturday?”
“Sort of.” She idly fiddled with the amulet around her neck. “Thanks, Zeeshan.”
“For what?”
“For suggesting that I come along and for letting me travel with you.”
“I’ve got my selfish reasons for that.” Smiling he added, “I know for a fact that you’ll be better company than Humza, whose always talking about work or cricket.” He smiled when he heard her laugh. “And you’re much better looking.”
Zoya bit back a smile. “Humza’s quite handsome, if you haven’t noticed.
Zeeshan didn’t let jealously get to him. Instead, he smiled and said, “Well, I prefer to travel with pretty woman, considering I’m not attracted to men. And you, Zoya, are my vision of a beautiful woman.”
“My reflection disagrees with you, but thanks anyway.” She replied, trying to ignore the tingly feeling in her stomach.
“You have to see yourself through someone else’s eyes, Zoya.”
Zoya thought about that for a second. Since she had married Atif, she’d relied on his opinion about everything. He always told her how beautiful he thought she was, and she’d come to believe him. But after she lost him, she’d lost everything, including confidence in herself.
When Zeeshan heard no response, he felt he’d broached a sensitive topic. “Anyway, I just called to ask what time I should come pick you up on Saturday? Will Eight ‘o’ clock be okay?”
“Eight? Uh, sure.” Zoya wasn’t a morning person, but she’d figure something out. “Eight’s perfect.”
“Great. So… I’ll see you then.”
“Yeah, see you Saturday.” She held onto the phone and waited for the click. But when she didn’t hear it she quietly said, “Hello?”
“You’re still there?”
Zoya laughed. “I was waiting for you to hang up!”
“Okay, this is silly. We’ll hang up together on three. One… Two…Three…”
But both of them still held onto their end of the line. After a few minutes of debating over who should hang up first, they finally said good-bye.
Long after she'd hung up, Zoya was still smiling at the incident.
~Hello...I know it's getting kind of long, but I've got so much in my head for these two, i don't know when to stop. Don't worry, i'll try to cut it short. And i'll try to make it my best piece of writing. Take care, thanks for reading.
~ Zaynie

Old
  (#17)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

1st March 2007, 06:43 AM

Eleven

Zeeshan kissed his mother on the cheek. “I’ll call every couple of hours. But just in case, you have my cell phone number, right?”
“Yes, Zeeshan. I have everything I need. Enjoy your weekend and don’t worry a bit about me. I’ve got a bag full of Hindi films to watch, so I’ll be busy.” She put a lunchbox in his hands. “This is for Zoya. Your lunch is in your bag.”
“Thanks, Ammi. You’re sure you’ll be okay?” Zeeshan hadn’t really left his mother alone for a weekend, and it felt odd.
“Now, you’re getting annoying.” She gave him a shove out the door. “Kudha hafiz. Give my love to Zoya.”
Giving a final wave to his mother, he pulled out of the driveway and headed to Zoya’s house. More than once, he checked his reflection in the rearview mirror. He’d taken time to shave today, and even comb his messy hair. Underneath his winter coat, he wore a light blue pinstriped shirt with navy blue pants. If he’d been given a choice, he would’ve ditched the tie. But it was customary for a company meeting.
He'd bought her a box of chocolates. It sat on the seat next to him, along with a single blooming red rose. When he pulled up in front of her house, he put the two items on the back seat. He’d give them to her later.
Taking a deep breath, he stepped out of his Pajero and headed up the walk. He pressed the doorbell and waited. Asma opened the door, and smiled when she saw him. Looking at him from head to toe, she raised her eyebrows. “Well, you certainly clean up nicely.”
“Thanks. Is Zoya ready yet?”
“Not yet. You want something? Coffee?”
“Uh, water’s fine.” He sat down on the cushiony sofa and waited. After a few minutes, Asma came back with a glass of water. “Thanks.”
The phone rang just then, and Asma went into the kitchen to answer it. “Hello?”
“It’s me.” Humza said. “I’m going to be a little late. The boss called me to pick up the keys.”
“The keys to what?”
“He has a summer house in Greenwood. He thinks it’s a better idea then a hotel. I guess he was thinking in terms of costs.”
Asma cursed under her breath. The surprises just kept coming. At this point it was better to just expect the worst then to hope for the best. “Okay. I’ll just go over the presentation again.”
“Good idea. Okay, bye.”
“B-,” Asma starred at the receiver. Jerk.
Before she could start fuming, Zoya came out of her room. “What’s wrong? Was that Humza?”
“Yeah. He’s running a little late.” There was no point in telling her about the change in accommodations. “Zeeshan’s in the living room.”
“Oh, he’s here. Great.” She started towards the living room.
Asma called at her in a quiet whisper. “Careful. He looks dangerously handsome.”
“Asma!” Zoya laughed it off, but when she saw him she realized Asma was telling the truth. Zeeshan looked more handsome than he had at the Christmas party. “Good morning.”
Zeeshan set his glass down on side table, and got up to greet her. “Hi.”
“Sorry… I woke up a little late.”
“It’s okay.” He looked at her for just a second and forgot what he was going to say. “Uh…”
“Shall we?” Zoya gestured towards the door.
“Oh, right!”
Asma came to help Zoya on with her coat. Then she kissed her on the cheek. “Did you get your cell phone?”
“Yep, it’s in my purse.” Zoya held up a little black purse. “Everything I need is here. I’ll be fine, Asma.”
“Okay. Kudha Hafiz, Bhabi. We’ll meet up in a little while.”
Zeeshan watched in surprise as Zoya easily maneuvered herself out of the doorway. The walkway was level to the door, so she easily made her way to his car. And that’s where she faced a problem.
When she looked back at the door, Asma was already gone. “Um…”
“What’s wrong?” Zeeshan looked from Zoya to the front door. “Did you forget something?”
“No, it just…” Zoya didn’t know how to say it. “It’s too high.”
“Huh?” He looked at his car. The Pajero was a beautiful jeep with lots of power yet comfortable enough for a long drive. But he had never looked at it from Zoya’s point of view. It would be impossible for her to get on her own, since the step was over a feet above the ground. “Oh-I didn’t realize. Um…”
Zoya thought of calling Asma back. She looked again at the height of the door. She couldn't hold her weight for more than a few seconds. There was no way she'd be able to get into his car on her own.
Zeeshan opened the door, and looked at Zoya. “It’ll only take a second.”
“What will-,” but Zeeshan already had her in his arms. “Oh my God!
“I’ve got you.” By the way she had tightened her arms around his neck, he felt that maybe she was scared of being carried. “I won’t drop you, I promise.”
She made the mistake of turning to look at him. He was just an inch away. She gulped down the lump in her throat.
There was a reassuring smile on his face as he set her into the front seat. “There, that wasn’t so hard.”
“Thank you.” She said without looking at him. When he closed her door, she took a second to catch her breath. She could still feel his arms around her, and the scent of his aftershave was still crowding her senses. God, what have I gotten myself into!
After folding the wheelchair and putting it in the trunk, Zeeshan slid behind the wheel. Before starting the car he reached in the back seat and brought out a small cushion and blanket. “My mother sends her love along with a blanket and pillow.”
Zoya watched as he reached back yet again. “And these are for you too.”
He thrust a box of chocolates in her hands. “Zeeshan, the worst thing to give a fat girl is chocolates.” But she absolutely loved Quality Street chocolates.
Zeeshan paused before pulling out the rose. Fat? He’d noticed that she’d put on a few pounds, but they complimented her rather than make her look fat. “Fat? From which angle?”
Zoya laughed. “Oh, please. Any fatter, and I'd be mooing like a cow.”
“I don’t think you’re the least bit overweight. I’d say…” He gave a comical look from head to toe making her cheeks turn pink. “I’d say you’ve got all the right curves. Trust me, it suits you very much.”
“Okay, let’s just leave it at that. It's your nature to be nice." She pushed a curl out of her eye, and looked out the window. But just as soon as she turned, Zeeshan stuck something under her nose.
“Oh!” Zoya put a hand at her throat. She looked again and realized it was a rose. “Oh, it’s so pretty.”
“Like it?”
“I love it. Thank you.” She touched the soft velvety petals and looked at him. This time when she smiled, he saw it link to her eyes. He never thought roses could be so important to someone.
He only smiled in reply, as they started their journey together.

~ so, the story is also on its way. hope you enjoyed.. take care...
~.....zzz...

Old
  (#18)
astha
not a shayar

1st March 2007, 11:15 AM

astha

Old
  (#19)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

5th March 2007, 03:00 AM

Twelve
Humza waited outside of Asma’s house. He would never understand why women took so long to get dressed. It wasn’t as if she was going to a wedding. There was no need to do a pretty herself up. Yet still, Asma was in the house doing something probably just as silly and causing delay in reaching Greenwood.
He’d honked his horn three times since he’d gotten there, yet there was still no sign of her. All she’d done was stuck her head out of her window and told him to shut up and wait. Aggravated, he stepped out of his black Volvo and slammed the door. He checked his pockets for something to chew on. Nothing.
Then he remembered there was an old pack of cigarettes in the glove compartment. He hadn’t had a cigarette in ages, and it sure sounded inviting right now. But just as he went to light it, Asma popped out the front door, making him forget everything.
She was dressed to kill. Her pinstriped black suit made her perfectly shaped body look even better. While she tried to juggle the keys, her purse and her winter coat between hands, Humza struggled not to stare. Her hair was tied up with a studded clasp that sparkled in the winter sun. When she turned to finally join him, he saw that she’d taken a minute to apply some make-up. Her lips were painted in a dark hue of brown, and her eyes were showcased with eyeshadow and liner. When she started towards his car, he quickly looked away and stuffed the cigarette in his pocket. “It’s about time.”
Asma saw the cigarette before it vanished into his pockets. “When did you start smoking again?”
Humza didn’t have to tell her that this the first time in years that he’d had a desire for a cigarette. “If the mood strikes…”
“I thought you told me you’d never smoke again.” Asma’s voice may have been impolite, but there was pain in her eyes. “I didn’t think you’d break a promise.”
“We made a lot of promises, Asma.” Humza shot back. “Not all of them were kept.” Then, without saying another word, he slid in behind the wheel and started the car.
Promises, indeed. Asma felt her eyes burn with tears, but she pulled them back. She’d be damned if he upset her so easily. Stuffing her things in the trunk, she slid in beside him and slammed the door.
Humza cursed under his breath. This was going to be one hell of a trip.
~*~

Zoya wiped another tear from her eye. She’d couldn’t remember the last time she’d laughed so much. “Zeeshan, please. No more jokes. I think I’m getting a stomach ache. ”
He plucked another chocolate out of the box. “You know, at the rate I’m eating these chocolates I wouldn’t be surprised if my seat belt popped.”
Zoya saw him unwrap a red one. Just as he was about to bite into it, she swiped it away from his mouth. “Oooh! I love these ones.”
“Hey- that’s the last one!” Leaving one hand on the steering wheel, he grabbed her hand with his free arm and brought it to his mouth. She gave a surprised gasp when he devoured the entire piece right out of her fingers. Then to add to her shock, he slowly licked off the chocolate that had melted onto her fingers.
“Mmm….” He said with his mouth full. “This one tasted the sweetest.”
Zoya felt color creep up her neck. The tips of her fingers were still burning, when she pulled her hand away. What’s happening to me?
Zeeshan couldn’t believe he just did that. But, damn, it felt good to make her blush. The color in her cheeks told him she’d felt the jolt through her system too.
He turned to say something to her, and saw her fingering something around her neck that looked oddly familiar. “What’s that?”
Zoya was so lost in her thoughts that she didn’t realize she was idly playing with the amulet around her neck. Quickly stuffing it back under her collar, she said, “Nothing.”
He couldn’t help but feel touched when he realized what it was. “I can’t believe you still have that.”
Shit. “Well… it was a gift, right? I really treasure gifts given to me by my friends.”
“Seeing you wear it means a lot to me.” Zeeshan pushed aside the emotions that welled in his throat.
The fact that she hadn’t thrown it away long ago had to mean something.

Old
  (#20)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

5th March 2007, 03:02 AM

Thirteen
They were exiting the highway when Humza called Zeeshan to let him know of the changes in accommodations. “It’s 5 Cinnamon Ridge, right off of Dixie Rd.”
“5 Cinnamon Ridge, off Dixie. Got it.”
“We’re nearly there. We’ll meet you in twenty minutes.”
“Alright, bye.”
“What happened?” Zoya had only heard one side of the conversation, which hadn’t been enough to figure out anything.
“Just a little change in our lodging area.” He replied driving down the dirt road. The houses were scarce, with almost half a mile between houses. It was probably one of the reasons people preferred to vacation in this area.
Complete privacy.
After passing a few houses, they came to the last plot. Both Zoya and Zeeshan looked through the windshield in awe.
It was a single story house surround by land and trees. A frozen pond could be seen in the distance. The roof was covered with snow, and there were icicles frozen from the edges of the drain pipes. The paths were also covered in snow, making Zoya wonder how in the hell she was going to get to the door.
“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”
“Glorious. But there’s a lot of snow, especially on the paths.”
“Don’t worry. We’ll figure something out.” Zeeshan said, knowing right away about her concerns. Teasingly, he added, “Or I could just carry you.”
Zoya turned to look at him, and was relieved to see him smiling. “How far were they?”
“Not too far. They should be here in a few minutes.” Zeeshan said, cutting the engine. The few minutes of silence, helped him think a little. This weekend was the perfect chance to tell her. It was too soon, but he knew it would be risking too much to wait. He’d already made that mistake once, and he wasn’t going to make it again.
When he heard the car pull up, Zeeshan looked at Zoya. “I’ll be right back. We’ll do something about the snow, and get your wheelchair on clear ground.”
He waited until Humza parked his car, and then asked Asma to join Zoya rather than wait out in the cold. “Humza, we have to shovel out the walkway. Zoya’s wheelchair won’t ride in snow that deep.”
“Damn Mr. Gibbons for being such a cheapskate.” Humza said after he took a look. The distance from the car to the front door was quite a bit. He could easily carry Zoya to the door, and shovel out the walkway later, but he wasn’t sure that Zoya would be comfortable with that. “Well, I guess we’d better get started.”
After explaining it to Asma, the guys walked through the snow and around the back of the house to find the tool shed. Grabbing a couple of shovels, they headed back to quickly start the chore.
After a few minutes of shoveling, they came back to the car to take off their coats. Asma didn’t think that was such a good idea. “Are you crazy? It’s freezing out there!”
“I think we’re sweating enough to make up for the cold.” He said, and tossed his jacket in her lap. “Remind me to give Mr. Gibbons a piece of my mind when we get back.”
Zoya looked at Zeeshan who was still smiling. There were bead of sweat on his forehead. It made her feel horrible. “I’m so sorry. I’m being a pain in the neck, aren’t I?”
“Not yet.” He said winking at her. “Keep smiling and it’ll be worth it.” He shrugged out of his jacket, and tossed it on the back seat.
His wink hadn’t gone unnoticed. Asma couldn’t help but wonder how Zoya had gotten so friendly with him in such a short time. And Zeeshan wasn’t really that friendly with just anybody.
Putting the thought aside, she sat back. “Nice view, isn’t it?”
Zoya had to admit, she wasn’t sure which view Asma was talking about. Trying to sound intrigued by the beautiful view of nature, she said, “It is beautiful out here, isn’t it?”
Are, yaar. I’m talking about those two hunks showing off their muscles.” Asma said with a laugh. But she really wanted to see Zoya’s reaction. “He’s gorgeous, isn’t he?”
Zoya felt goose bumps on her arms. “Who?”
“Zeeshan, who else?”
“Oh.” She watched Zeeshan’s muscles work, as he threw a shovel full of snow aside. Innocently, she said, “He’s… decent looking.”
“Hmm.” Asma felt ashamed for thinking they had something going on.
“But I’d say Humza’s more of a hunk.” Zoya added with a grin.
Asma looked at her in shock. “Bhabi!
They both laughed at the little joke and continued light conversation as the boys finished off clearing the path.
~so sorry i disappeared for a while. Actually, i've started reading this series of novels, and i can't put them down. Their really good. If you haven't read NORA ROBERTS books, you don't know what you're missing.
Neway, enjoy these chapters for now. I'll try to post again tonight or tomorrow.... zzz

Old
  (#21)
astha
not a shayar

5th March 2007, 12:13 PM

hey ..happy holi

astha

Old
  (#22)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

6th March 2007, 07:07 AM

Happy Holi! i've only seen the fun in movies. I've been to india when i was very little, and i think i'd enjoy a day where everyone is colored up. !!!

Neway, here's the next chapter. It's a little long.

Fourteen
The original plan had been to leave Zoya at the hotel while they were at the meeting. But since there had been a change in their lodging, Asma wasn’t sure she’d want to leave Zoya all alone out here.
“Bhabi, I’d feel better if you’d come along. You can sit in the waiting area, and we’ll be out in no time.”
“Asma, two hours is a long time. I don’t think I’d enjoy wasting away in a waiting room for that long.” Zoya didn’t see anything wrong in staying alone in the secluded house. It had a beautiful sitting area with a fireplace. And there was even a selection of movies to watch on DVD. It was a perfect place to relax, and Zoya wasn’t about to lose the chance. “You guys will be back by sundown, and I’ll enjoy myself until then. I’ll be perfectly alright.”
Humza came out of his room, all freshened up and ready to go. “Asma, you’d better hurry up. Zeeshan just called to tell us that the reps have arrived.”
“Humza, I don’t feel comfortable leaving Bhabi all alone here. It’s so…”
“She’ll be fine. There’s a security system that we’ll activate when we leave. She’s got her cell phone right beside her. Plus a good movie and popcorn.” Humza smiled at Zoya. “In my opinion… she’s in paradise.”
Zoya laughed. Humza always knew how to make things right. “Thank you, Humza. See, Asma? I’ll be fine. Now, hurry!” She gave her a hug, and wished her luck. “Humza, take care of Asma will you?”
“Got it, Boss.” Humza gave her a salute, and closed the door behind him. Zoya heard a beeping sound, which told her that the alarm was set.
She sat on a comfy loveseat with her feet stretched out in front of her on an ottoman. Her wheelchair and crutch were right next to the sofa, incase she needed them. Before Zeeshan left he’d draped a cozy blanket over her, and put a pillow behind her. Asma had laid out a variety of snacks on the coffee table, which was also positioned close to her.
She pressed play on the DVD remote and smiled when the title of the movie rolled onto the screen. Titanic. A story about love dealing with destiny.
~*~

No matter how many times she saw the movie, Zoya would always cry in the end. Shaking away the silliness, she turned off the DVD player and TV.
Letting out a sigh, she rested her head against the cushions. Just when she thought she was about to fall asleep, her cell phone rang.
Quickly, she flipped it open. “Hello?”
“Hi, Bhabi. Is everything okay?” Asma’s voice carried a touch of concern.
“I’m fine. I just finished watching the movie.” She shifted a little to sooth the crick in her back. “How’d the meeting go?”
Without answering, Asma ordered, “Bhabi, look out the window.”
When Zoya looked out, all she saw was a whirlwind of white. “Oh, dear. I didn’t know there was a forecast for a snowstorm.”
“Yeah, me neither. Anyway, listen. We’re on our way, but it’s going to be a while before we get there. The roads are horrible.”
“What?! Asma, are you telling me you guys are driving in this craziness?” Zoya’s heart started to hammer against her chest.
“It’ll be fine. We’re going slow, and there aren’t many cars out. Don’t worry. Zeeshan left before us, so he should be there soon. Okay, Bhabi?”
“Okay.” Zoya replied weakly. “Kudha hafiz.”
After ending the call, Zoya looked out the window. Zeeshan was out there in this blizzard alone. “Please, don’t let anything happen to him.”
Just as she finished saying it, Zoya heard the alarm turn off, and a key turnin the keyhole. As the door opened, she felt a gust of wind chill her bones. But the sight of Zeeshan brought warmth back.
He quickly shut the door, and then shook off the snow. “Nice and warm in here, isn’t it?”
Zoya smiled. “You’re absolutely crazy to drive in this weather.”
“Call it craziness if you like.” He replied with a twinkle in his eyes. He walked over to the sofa and shrugged out of his jacket. Then, to Zoya’s surprise, he sank into the sofa beside her.
Even though she moved a little to give him room, he was still too close for comfort. Yet when they started talking, Zoya lost the nervousness, and forgot about how close he was sitting.
Zeeshan was trying to figure out a way to broach the subject on his mind. He didn’t have much time. Asma and Humza would arrive soon, and seeing how the weather was, they’d all be stuck together for the next day too. “Listen, Zoya. I need to talk to you about something.”
“Sure.” Zoya turned to look at him. “What?”
“I…,” He started to say something, but when he looked into her eyes, his mind went blank. Damn it, what was I saying? “Um…”
Zoya gave a little laugh. She loved it when he had that dazed look on his face. “’Um’, what?”
Finally finding the presence of mind, he stated, “You’re the prettiest girl I know.” When she turned away, he continued, “Every time I look at you I forget everything else.”
Zoya felt warmth surge to her cheeks. “Oh, please.”
He watched as she nervously and pushed a curl behind her ear. Gently, he reached over and took her hand in his. “Okay, now seriously. I need to talk to you about something.”
“Well, I’m listening.” But actually, she wasn’t. Her concentration was on the warmth of his hands, and how gently he held her fingers. Idly, he drew little circles on the back of her hand, making tingles run through her entire body. She hadn’t even realized that he was asking her about something. “Huh?”
“What do you think?”
“About what?”
“Weren’t you listening?”
“Um, sort of.” She pulled her hands away. “Okay, start again.”
Zeeshan smiled at himself. Oops… I guess I need to be more careful with my hands. Clearing his throat, he started again. “There’s a rehabilitation facility in Chicago, which specializes in leg injuries. They’ve cured hundreds of cases…”
“Zeeshan, we’ve tried a lot of places. My entire knee is damaged. The only option is to have it replaced, which will cost an arm, and probably my other leg.” Zoya tried to humor the topic, but really she didn’t want to talk about this at all.
“Will a knee replacement help you walk again?”
“I think so. At least, that’s what my doctor said. But…” The treatment was done in the states, and she didn’t have that kind of money. “It’s a complicated procedure. And I don’t want to hassle Asma anymore than I have already. The poor girl’s wasted enough money on me.”
“Money won’t be a problem.” He smiled when Zoya looked up. Well, that definitely got her attention. “You won’t have to pay a penny, and you could be walking within the year.”
Zoya laughed at him. “That’s only ten days from now! It’s already the end of December, silly.”
“I mean in the coming year. Anyway, money won’t be a problem.”
“How am I going to get away without paying for the entire treatment?” Zoya couldn’t think of any charitable clinic in America. She waited for Zeeshan to answer. “Well?”
“That’s the tricky part.” He scratched his chin, and tried to form a proper sentence. “You remember I had health problems in the past?
“Oh. Well, I have an insurance policy that fully covers my hospital bills, as well as my family’s.”
Zoya reached over and grabbed her water bottle. “I still don’t see how that brings me into the equation.” She took a gulp of water.
“As my wife, you’d be fully covered through the policy.”
Zoya choked on the water she was drinking. Wiping away the water from her face, she starred at him. “What?”
“Zoya, don’t get me wrong. We just need a marriage license to prove that you’re my wife. We don’t really have to get married.”
“You’ve lost your mind.” Zoya wondered how he’d come up with such a bizarre idea.
“Maybe. But I’m trying to help you.” Zeeshan had known that she would react this way, but he wasn’t giving up yet.
“I know, but…,” Zoya couldn’t begin to explain how many problems he’d have if he married her, even if it was just legally. “I’m a handful, Zeeshan. You don’t want to get mixed up with me.”
“Don’t start that nonsense again, Zoya.” Zeeshan dragged a hand through his hair, and got up from the sofa. “Anyway, it’s just a suggestion. I don’t expect you to decide now.”
She’d already decided. But she had to admit that it was a thoughtful gesture. “Thank you, Zeeshan. You’ve got guts to offer me something like that.”
“We friends aren’t we?” He replied with a smile.
“Yes, I suppose we are.” She was glad to have found him again.

Old
  (#23)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

8th March 2007, 04:58 AM

Hello, readers. I just saw a bit of a mistake in the previous chapter. but i'm sure you've got the idea. I have a bad habit of no re-reading my chapters. I guess, i should start doing that. neway, here's the next chapter pple. enjoy!

Fifteen
Pizza was out of the question, because no delivery boy in his right mind would come out in a blizzard like this. So they settled for macaroni and cheese dinners. While they ate, Asma noticed Humza glance at her a couple of times. Once she even dropped her fork out of nervousness. Everyone was busy chatting to even notice, but she did see a glimmer of humor in Humza’s eyes throughout the meal.
After dinner, while Asma was washing the dishes, Zoya admitted that she was extremely tired. “Good night, everyone. Have sweet dreams.”
After Zoya left, Zeeshan stretched his arms and yawned. “Do you guys need any help there?”
“No, I think we’ll manage.” Humza didn’t mind helping out in the kitchen. “Good night.”
“Good night, then.” As Zeeshan headed to the other end of the house, Humza half expected Asma to scurry away too. But she continued to wash the dishes with her back to him.
Asma could feel his presence, even with her back turned on him. Silently, she prayed for him to just go away. Finishing up with the dishes, she turned to leave, but instead bumped right into him. She apologized and tried to move past him, but it seemed he had something else in mind. He stepped in front of her, and leaned a hip on the counter. She shot him a glare, but he just grinned. “Move.”
“You didn’t say the magic word.” His grin widened. He was really enjoying this. “You could be a little nicer, you know.”
Please.” She said through her teeth.
“Much better.” He pushed away from the counter. When she tried to pass her, he caught her arm. “Just a minute.”
“W-What?” Asma backed into the counter, as he stepped closer. She felt her heart jump when he put his hands on either side of her to keep her from getting away. “Humza…”
“You’ve been driving me crazy all day.” He leaned closer, and tipped her face up with his finger. Ignoring the worried look on her face, he cupped the back of neck and drew her lips to his.
Asma put her hand on his chest, intending to push him away. But when she felt his heartbeat under the palm of her hand, she melted against him. Her arms found their way around his neck as she poured herself into the kiss.
After, what seemed like an eternity, Asma abruptly pulled away. “I can’t do this.”
“Why not, Asma?” He took her face in his hands, and looked into her eyes. “Don’t fight this, Asma. Who are you trying to fool? Can’t you see that I’m still in love with you? That I’ve never stopped loving you?”
“Please, Humza. Don’t.” Asma was close to tears. “I can’t be with you.” She pried herself away from him.
“If Zoya finds out that you’re giving up all your dreams and your love for her, she’ll never forgive herself.”
Asma turned around, and starred at him. “Well, she won’t find out. If my Bhabi can’t have love in her life, I can’t either.” Softening her voice, she said, “It isn’t just about taking care of her, Humza. What do you think she’ll go through when she sees us together, enjoying a happily married life?”
Humza kept silent. He’d never thought about that.
“She’s gone through so much. I don’t want her to have to remember what she’s lost.” She gave him an apologetic look. “I’m sorry, Humza. Maybe it would be easier for both of us if you just forgot about me.”
She left him standing in the kitchen, and locked herself in the washroom.
Long after the house had settled, and the winds had died down, Asma quietly crept into the room where Zoya slept. Trying not to make any sounds, she slipped into the bed beside her. Giving her a kiss on the forehead, she lowered her head onto her pillow and tried to find sleep. Her lips still tingled from the Humza’s touch. She had even tried to rinse it away. Damn him, for bringing back memories. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks, as she thought of the times spent with him.

~*~

Zoya had pretended to sleep when Asma crept into the room long after the conversation in the kitchen. When Asma finally cried herself to sleep, Zoya let her own tears come.
If my Bhabi can’t have love in her life, I can’t either.
How could she not have realized it before now? All these years, Asma had pretended to be so happy with her life. But in reality, she’d been sacrificing her dreams for her dear Bhabi.
Just the thought made Zoya sick to the stomach. She may have been blind for the last three years, but now her eyes were wide open. And she’d see to it that Asma’s life was set right once again. Even if it meant compromising with her own.

Old
  (#24)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

9th March 2007, 05:16 AM

Sixteen

Zoya’s sat by the window, waiting. It was New Year’s Eve, and she had invited everyone to dinner. They’d enjoy each other’s company, and drift into the New Year with smiles on their faces. And maybe, just maybe, Humza would drift back into Asma’s life.
Finally, she saw a car pull up in the driveway. It was Zeeshan and his mother. She pushed away from the window, and went to let them in. “Asma! They’re here!”
Asma hurried down the stairs. “Who?”
“Zeeshan and his mother.” She replied and opened the door. Zoya greeted them, and welcomed them into the living room. Just as soon as everyone settled down, the doorbell rang again. Knowing it was Humza, she asked Asma to let him in.
Asma got up with a grumble that had Zoya smiling. “Be nice.”
“I’ll try.” She called over her shoulder. Before opening the door, she adjusted her dupatta and checked her reflection in the hall mirror. Then cursed herself for even caring.
When she opened the door, she was completely blown away. Not by the cool wind, but with the sight of Humza in a salwar kameez suit. He held a bouquet of colorful flowers, which he offered to her as he stepped over the threshold. “I didn’t want you complaining again that you didn’t get flowers.”
She gave a sheepish smile, and accepted the flowers. “Thank you.” It took all her dignity not to bury her face in them to inhale their fragrance. “You look good.”
Humza paused while taking off his coat. “Am I dreaming, or did you just give me a compliment?”
“I’m trying to be polite.” She closed the door. “And it’s true. You do look nice.”
“Thank you. So do you… for a change.” He laughed when she glared at him. “Cool it. I’m just kidding. You always look beautiful.”
“Much better. Come on, now. Everyone’s waiting.” She led him into the living room, and set the flowers on the side table.
After everyone settled down, Zeeshan couldn’t resist asking Humza, “What’s with the flowers?”
“Shut up.” He replied with a scowl. When Zeeshan chuckled in response, Humza elbowed him, but just quietly enough so that nobody noticed.
~*~

After spending the last couple of hours with Zoya, Munira could see why her son was smitten with her. Not only was she beautiful, but she had a wonderful personality that radiated from her to the next person.
Zeeshan couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen his mother enjoy herself so much. Every time he saw her smile, he felt a bubble of happiness swell around his heart. And the fact that Zoya was the reason for her smile pleased him even more.
“Do you have any photo albums lying around?” Munira asked. “I love looking at pictures.”
Asma thought Zoya would get upset by the idea, but she surprised her by saying, “We actually packed all of them away. But our family room in the basement has a wall full of picture frames. I’m sure Asma wouldn’t mind taking you down to see them.”
“Oh, that would be very sweet of you, dear.” Munira got up, and followed Asma down the stairs. “Humza, why don’t you join us?”
Humza obliged and followed them down.
After he left, Zeeshan took the moment to word his thoughts. “Thank you, Zoya, for inviting us tonight. I haven’t seen Ammi laugh so much in months.”
“Your mother is the sweetest woman I’ve ever met. I’d be glad to have her here everyday.” Zoya was thinking of how to broach the subject, but then decided to just tell him outright. “I really need to talk to you about something.”
His brows furrowed. “What?”
She patted the cushion next to her. “It’s very important, and I want to tell you before they come back.”
When he joined her on the sofa, she spoke in hushed tones. By the time she was finished telling him what was on her mind, he was speechless. “Does Asma know that you’ve found out?”
“No. And she can’t know.” She gathered all of her courage and reached to take his hand. “Zeeshan, I really need your help.”
“Name it, Zoya. You know I’ll do anything to help you.”
“I know. But this is something big.” She smiled weakly. Taking a deep breath, she said, “I’m hoping that you’re still willing to marry me.”
She watched a smile spread across his face. "So, you decided then."
“But it’s going to be a little trickier than what you had suggested.” She was really asking too much of him, she knew. But there was just no other way. “We have to be in love.”
“W-What?” He looked as if someone had struck him on the head with a hammer.
“I mean,” She quickly tried to correct herself. “We have to make it look like we’re really in love. A real marriage, so Asma can rest assured that I’m happy. I promise to leave when everything’s over. As soon as Asma marries Humza, I’ll move out. I’ll get my own apartment… or something, I don’t know. But I’ll get out of your hair, I promise.” She was stumbling over her sentences. Once she saw the stunned look on his face, she knew it had been a bad idea. How could she have expected anyone to do something so drastic?
Zeeshan couldn’t believe the words coming out of her mouth. She was asking him to pretend to be in love with her? Well, I shouldn’t have any trouble with that, he thought.Zoya was the one thing missing in his life, and here she was offering herself to him all wrapped up with a pretty bow.
There had to be some mistake. She obviously didn’t realize what she was saying. “Are you serious?”
Zoya wished she could disappear. Or the sofa would open up and swallow her whole. Burying her face behind her hands, she mumbled, “I’m sorry. I knew it was a stupid idea, but I couldn’t think of anything else. Oh, God…”
“Whoa, whoa…” He pried her hands away from her face to find her eyes filled with tears. “I didn’t mean it like that. It's a brilliant idea, it's just...”
“No, no. I’m a complete idiot. It was really too much to ask for. I’m sorry…”
“Zoya…listen to me.” He took her face in his hands. “Look at me.”
Zoya finally looked at him, and found him smiling. He gently brushed the tears from under her eyes. “You’re not mad?”
“No, I’m not.” He replied. Then, giving a lazy smile, he asked, “I'd love to marry you.”
Zoya looked at him in shock. “R-Really?
“Yes, really.” He chuckled and tweaked her nose. “Dosti ka vaada kiya hai, nibahna toh pade ga.”
~Well, there's another chapter. Hey, i was thinking if you guys have any ideas for me, i'd love to hear them. Storylines, or romantic incidents... anything. I sumtimes suffer from writer's block, and really need inspiration to keep going. Hope you enjoyed. I really liked this chapter... Bye....
~Zzzz...

Old
  (#25)
astha
not a shayar

12th March 2007, 05:55 PM

waiting waiting

astha

Old
  (#26)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

13th March 2007, 11:05 PM

Seventeen
Asma gave a final wave, as she watched them drive away. Even after their car disappeared around the bend, she wondered about them. What exactly was going on? Asma was starting to get suspicious.
With no one else to talk to about it, she dialed Humza’s number. When he didn’t pick up, she tried his cell phone. “Hello?”
“ello?” He answered groggily. “ho’s’it?”
“It’s Asma.” She looked at her watch. It was past noon. “Are you still sleeping?”
“Mmm.” Humza fell back on his pillow. He had been dreaming about her, and it had been one heck of a dream. But he wasn’t about to tell her that. “W’Sup?”
“I wanted to talk to you about something. But since you’re still asleep, I think I’ll try later.” She smiled when she heard sheets ruffling.
“Okay, I’m up.” Humza looked around for his t-shirt, and put it on. Getting up from the bed, he headed for the bathroom. “Bolo?”
“I know it’s silly.” Asma wasn’t sure she should tell him. Maybe it was just her imagination. “But it’s been bothering me for a few days now.”
Humza tripped over his shoe, and nearly landed on his butt. “Shit.”
“Kia huwa?” Asma asked.
“Nothing, go on.” He kicked the shoe aside and proceeded to the bathroom. Hooking the phone between his shoulder and his ear, he squeezed out toothpaste onto his brush and started brushing.
He could still hear Asma, but apparently she wasn’t too happy. “What are you doing?”
“Nofing.” He said with a mouth full of bubbles. Quickly rinsing his mouth, he said again, “Nothing.”
“You know what? Before you decide to carry on with other bathroom rituals, I’m going to hang up.”
“But I was hoping you’d join me in the shower.” He joked.
“You’re sick, Humza. Bye.” And she hung up, trying to shake the image from her mind.
“Wait, I was just-,” But she was already gone. “Damn.”
An hour later, his cell phone rang again. “Hello?”
“Plain cheese or veggie?”
“Asma? Wher-?”
“Just answer the question.”
“Um… Veggie. Where are you?”
“I’ll be there in ten minutes. Take out a couple of plates, will you? I’m starved.” And she hung up.
Humza starred at the phone, after she hung up. Then he turned around and looked at his apartment. It was a mess. “Ah, crap!”
He quickly set himself to the task of stuffing everything out of sight. Once he cleared the sofa, he hurried to make his bed, and pushing the contents spread across the carpet, underneath the bed. He gave one last look at his space, and passed it as half-decent.
Thankfully, the kitchen was one place that he always kept clean, probably because he loved to cook. Pulling out a couple of plates, and glasses, he set them on the counter. He didn’t have room for a formal dining area, but since he was always alone, the breakfast counter was convenient enough. Just as he pulled up to bar stools, he heard her knock.
Asma stood on the other side with a box of pizza. She was drumming her foot, impatiently waiting for him to open the door. But when he did, she felt butterflies form in her stomach. How can he look so good in sweats and a t-shirt? She swallowed the lump in her throat. “Hungry?”
He wasn’t sure which looked more delicious: Asma or the pizza. Deciding that the latter would be the appropriate answer, he replied, “Yeah, I’m starved.”
As she stepped inside, Asma looked around. “I see you’re not as messy as you used to be.”
Humza avoided her eyes. “Yeah, I tend to clean up once in a while.”
“Well, that’s a good change. I hope I didn’t interrupt any plans.” Asma said, putting a slice of pizza on each of their plates.
“Nah. I was just going to spend sometime with Rani, but its okay.”
Asma gaze traveled to his bedroom door, then back to him. “Rani?”
Humza chuckled. “Mukherjee.”
Asma couldn’t believe she fell for that. “Oh, that Rani.”
They made small talk through the first slice of pizza, and then Asma felt it was better to get this whole thing over with. “Zoya went out with Zeeshan today.”
“Again?” Humza picked up another piece of pizza. “Didn’t they go for coffee after work on Friday?”
“Yes, and on Wednesday before that.” She picked off a mushroom from her slice, and put it on his plate. He loved mushrooms. “In the last two weeks, they’ve gone out for ‘coffee’ nearly eight times.”
“Well, you did always complain that Zoya didn’t get out enough.”
“Yeah, but this is different.”
“Why? Zeeshan’s a cool guy.” Humza said, biting into gooey pizza.
“Exactly. He’s a guy. And a very good-looking one too. What if-,”
Humza raised an eyebrow, and gave her a comical look. “Very good-looking, huh?”
“Cut it out. I’m serious. What if Bhabi’s attracted to him? Or even worse, what if Zeeshan’s trying to…”
“Asma, come on. We know Zeeshan isn’t anything like that. He’s someone we can both trust.”
“We’ve only known him for a few months. How can we…,” Asma stopped short. What was wrong with her? “I’m sorry. I’m just being paranoid. You’re right. Zeeshan is a great guy. I can’t believe I doubted him.”
When Asma laughed at herself, Humza felt he’d help bring her a little ease. “So… You think he’s good-looking?” Humza said again, pretending to be jealous.
“Much more good-looking than you.” She replied sarcastically, and jumped when he flicked an olive at her. In response, she threw a tomato that hit his forehead, and slid down his face, onto his plate. She gulped back a snort of laughter. “Oops. Sorry.”
“Oh, you’ll be sorry alright.” In seconds, he picked her up, took two strides to the sofa, and threw her down.
Taking one look at him, she knew exactly what he meant to do. She gave a shrill laugh when he attacked her tummy with his hands. “No! Humza!”
“So, you’re still ticklish?” Sarcasm dripped in his tone. She squirmed in his arms, and tried to get away. But he locked his arms around her tighter. And just like he used to, Humza tickled her until she was out of breath, and exhausted from laughter.
“I hate you.” She said breathlessly. She sat limply on his sofa, holding her sides, in fear he might attack her again.
“I know.” Humza replied, falling back on the sofa next to her. “But thanks for coming, anyway. I haven’t enjoyed my Sundays like this in a long time.”
She turned her head towards him, and smiled. “Me neither.”
~I'm soooo sorry. I was so busy on the weekend, and i completely forgot to post. Actually we have march break here, and work is swamped. i'll try to post again today, to make up for the last couple of days. neway, take care. Enjoy...

Old
  (#27)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

14th March 2007, 02:12 AM

Eighteen
“Did you see the look on her face when you lifted me off the wheelchair?” Zoya said popping a candy in her mouth.
“I’d have to admit, it was priceless.” He saw a beaming smile on Zoya’s lips. “I’m sure we’ve got her thinking.”
“Maybe. But maybe not.” Zoya felt they’d still have to try harder to get their point across.
When they pulled up in front of Zoya’s house, he helped Zoya into her wheelchair, and they both went inside. To their surprise, the lights were out. “That’s funny. She didn’t say she was going anywhere.”
“Maybe she went to get groceries or something.” Zeeshan suggested.
“No…” Zoya found a note stuck on the fridge. Zoya read it out loud. “Going over to Humza’s. I’ll be back soon.”
“Hmm… Interesting.” Zeeshan and Zoya smiled at each other. “You don’t think…”
“Naaah…” They both said together and laughed.
“Can you stay for a bit?” She asked pulling out a couple of soda’s from the fridge.
“Sure, if you want.” Zeeshan knew his mother was busy with her soap operas, and he’d only be a nuisance if he went home this early.
“That’s great.” She handed one to him. She wheeled into the living room.
Without her even asking, he helped her onto the sofa. “You really need to stop doing that Zeeshan, or you’ll get a sore back.”
“Zoya, don’t start worrying about me yet. You’ll have you’re chance after we’re married.” He sat down beside her, and took delight in seeing her cheeks burn red. “And you’ve got to stop blushing every time I mention the word ‘marriage’.”
“I know, I know. It’s just so weird.” She blew out a breath. “But I guess, I’ll have to try.”
Zoya reached over to grab the remote and switched on the TV. After surfing a few channels, they settled on a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond.
A half an hour later, Zeeshan heard a key turn in the front door. Grinning from ear to ear, he put an arm around her.
Zoya froze when he put an arm around her shoulder. “Wha-?”
“Asma’s here.” He whispered, and nestled her closer. He looked down at her. “We’ve got to start somewhere.”
“Oh. Right. Um…,” Hesitantly, she put her arm around his waist and rested her head on his shoulders. “This good?”
“Perfect.” He swallowed the lump in his throat, and tried to focus on the plan. Resting his cheek on her hair, he continued to watch the show.
~*~

“Bhabi will be really happy to see you, Aunty. I’m sure. No doubt, the biryani you made will only be a bonus.” Asma said turning onto their street.
When they reached their house, Munira was just as surprised as Asma to find her son’s car parked in the driveway. “Isn’t that Zeeshan’s car?”
“Yes. He’s probably just dropping Zoya off.” Asma couldn’t help but feel suspicious. What is he still doing here?
She parked her car next to his and helped Munira with the bags. As she put the key in the lock, she put a finger to her lips and smiled. It wouldn’t hurt to do a little snooping.
Munira stifled a giggle, and stepped in after her.
She regretted spying on them the second she stepped into the living room. They sat together on the love seat, with their backs to them. Zeeshan had an arm around her, while Zoya rested her head on his shoulder.
“I think I should go.” Zeeshan said, softly kissing her hair.
“Can’t you stay a little longer?” Zoya asked, turning a little to look up at him. She gave him a pleading look.
“I’d stay forever, if I could. But my mom’s probably waiting.” He surprised even himself when he kissed her forehead. Maybe he was getting a little carried away with his character. “I’ll try to drop by tomorrow.”
Zoya felt butterflies in her stomach. It’s only a charade, she kept telling herself. To complete the scene, she reached up and planted a kiss on his cheek. Slightly embarrassed, she failed to notice him blush like a schoolboy.
They both heard a set of keys hit the ground. Zeeshan turned, ready to see Asma’s shocked expression. But what he hadn’t expected was to see his mother standing beside her. He quickly jumped up, nearly tripping over himself. “Ammi?”
“Toh yeh tah tumara bohut zaroori kaam.” Munira sounded angry, but really she was just hurt that her son would hide such a happy part of his life from her.
A-Ammi…” It was all he could manage to say. How was he going to explain this to her? “Ammi, mein aapko…”
Ammi ke bache,” She took two steps to him, and pulled his ear. “Ghar chal, mein tumari ‘Ammi’ nikal ti houn.
“Ow!” He winced. Leave it to his mother to wound his pride.
Under normal circumstances, the scene would have been hilarious. But Zoya was so frightened that she couldn’t even utter a word. Zeeshan had planned to tell his mother about their little charade. But, unfortunately, he hadn’t gotten around to it. Now, she wondered how he was going to manage getting his mom to believe him.
Finally, Zoya looked at Asma. Her gaze was boiling with anger, as she watched Munira pull her son out of the living room. She paused by Asma for a minute to apologize for his behavior, and then proceeded to the front door.
“I’m not twelve years old anymore, Ammi.” He said as she pushed him out the door. He rubbed his sore ear. “Why do you have to pull my ear like that?”
Munira closed the door behind her, and swatted his butt. “Get in the car.”

~Well? are you liking it so far? hope so. Will post again tomorrow.

Old
  (#28)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

15th March 2007, 03:57 AM

Nineteen

Zoya was trying to figure out what to say. Asma hadn’t budged from her place in the last five minutes. Her gaze was lowered to the floor, as if she was thinking about something. Finally, Zoya gathered enough nerve to say her name.

“Asma?”
Asma looked up and starred into her eyes. “Why?”
Zoya closed her eyes, and told herself to stand firm. “I have to tell you something, Asma.”
“You barely know him, Bhabi. How could-,”
“Actually, I know him very well.”
“It’s barely been two months!” Asma stated, walking over to the sofa.
Zoya took a deep breath and finally let it out. “I knew him before I married your brother, Asma.”
A moment passed in silence. Asma anger faded into confusion, and she sat down next to Zoya. “What? How?”
“We were in high school together. I…” She paused, thought for a second. “We had a couple of classes together, and became very good friends. I ended up having a huge crush on him, but by the time I realized it, I was getting engaged to Atif. It was a silly teenage crush, so I left it alone.”
It was a twist on the truth, but it would have to do.
Despite her anger, Asma found herself smiling at the story. “You two have known each other since high school?”
“Yes. Well, not since. I mean, there’s a seven year gap. But he hasn’t changed much. He still has that way to make me smile. To make a person feel good. It’s like he gives off this glow that touches people and makes them light up.”
Hiding her smile, Asma asked, “What else do you feel when you’re around him.”
Zoya was already lost in her thoughts of Zeeshan to notice Asma expression. “Giddy, would be one feeling. Excitement builds up when I know he’s going to come. It’s like feeling happy and nervous at the same time. It’s like having a crush on him all over again, I guess.”
Asma watched Zoya expression change as she talked about him. She saw her eyes light up with love. As realization donned on her, Asma felt her own eyes burn with tears. “You’re in love with him…”
Zoya stopped in mid-sentence. “What?”
“Look at you, Bhabi. You’re smiling from ear to ear just thinking about him.” Asma slumped back into the sofa, and gave a laugh. “I can’t believe this.”
“I’m not in love with him, Asma…” Wait a minute. That’s what I’m supposed to make it look like. “I just find him… a wonderful friend. He makes me happy.”
“Happier than you’ve ever been in the last three years, Bhabi. Shouldn’t that say something? I mean, friendship can only go so far. What you feel for him is more than friendship. It’s more than just a crush.”
“You’re not mad?” It was the one thing Zoya feared of.
“Mad? Why should I be?”
“Because no matter how good friends we are, I’m still your Bhabi. I thought it might be hard for you to see your brother’s wife with another guy.”
“Bhabi, that’s insulting. I would never…”
“Asma, it’s a natural feeling, and almost impossible to avoid.” Zoya gave a weak smile. “I’m glad that you’re not, though.”
“I’ve never been happier in my life. It makes me so happy to see you in love again, Bhabi. So happy.”
Zoya stopped herself from giving a shout of joy. Instead she returned the embrace and said, “Thank you, Asma.”

~*~

While he waited for Asma to arrive at the coffee shop, Zeeshan had downed two cups of coffee. He looked at the ring in his palm, again.

Your father gave it to when you were born. I want Zoya to have it.
Zeeshan had expected anger when they got home, even bitterness. What he hadn’t expected was to be showered with kisses and blessings. His mother was practically dancing with joy for him. After seeing her so happy, he didn’t have the heart to tell her that Zoya didn’t really love him. That their marriage was only going to be an act.
So, he decided to let her be happy, and promised that it would be the only time he’d lie to her in his entire life. Only because he wanted to see her smile.
When he saw Asma walk through the door, he gave one last glance at the ring, he put it safely in his pocket. If Zoya wanted an official marriage, she’d get an official proposal.

Asma couldn’t help herself. She had to know if Zeeshan really cared for Zoya. She figured that talking about the weather wouldn’t help ease the discussion. So she decided to skip the small talk and speak her mind. “Why?”
Zeeshan was having trouble keeping a straight face. “You know, you’re not her mother. She can decide things for herself.”
“Shut up, and answer the question.”
Zeeshan gave her a serious stare. The truth would best suit the situation. “Because she’s the best thing that ever happened to me.”
“Do you love her?” Asma took a sip of her coffee.
“No, I’m just want to marry her for the fun of it.” Sarcasm laced his voice. When Asma didn’t laugh, he figured that it wasn’t a laughing matter. Again, truth would be best to answer her question. “I love her more than the air I’m breathing.”
“Fair enough.” She leaned forward, to add depth to her words. “If you ever make her cry, I swear I'll-,”
“I’ll kill myself before giving you the chance. She won’t shed a tear, I promise you. Unless their happy ones.” He waited a beat. “I’m not Atif, Asma. I can’t replace the void he left in her. But I’m going try healing her wounds. You can count on that.”

She thought about what he said for a couple of minutes. After taking a gulp of coffee, she finally smiled, “Zoya sure picks the sweet ones. Welcome to the family.”

Last edited by zaynie; 15th March 2007 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: small mistake

Old
  (#29)
astha
not a shayar

16th March 2007, 07:29 PM

“I love her more than the air I’m breathing.”
“Fair enough.” She leaned forward, to add depth to her words. “If you ever make her cry, I swear I'll-,”
“I’ll kill myself before giving you the chance. She won’t shed a tear, I promise you. Unless their happy ones.

such guys don exist *sigh* .. atleast not around me

astha

Old
  (#30)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

20th March 2007, 10:32 PM

Hi Astha...
Such guys don't exist period! not even around me. Zeeshan is just a figment of my imagination. The image of the perfect guy in my mind. One that doesn't get mad, or angry. One that loves a girl so much, he'd never hurt her. But like i said, i don't think such a guy exists. But i'll pray that there is 'two' like that, at least. One for u and one for me! heheh.....

Old
  (#31)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

20th March 2007, 11:29 PM

Twenty

“Where are we going?” Zoya asked again, looking out the window again.
“You’ll see.” Zeeshan said, keeping his eyes on the road. He had a special evening planned for them. One that she’d remember for the rest of her life. “It’s a surprise.”
“What is it?” She asked eagerly.
“Well, if I told you… it would ruin the surprise.” Zeeshan replied laughingly.
When they finally reached their destination, Zoya was awe-struck. Romero’s was one of the finest Italian restaurants in the city. Not only was it expensive, but it was almost impossible to get a reservation on a Saturday night. “You didn’t!”
“I certainly did.”
“I’ve always wanted to dine here, but they’re always so full. How’d you manage to get a reservation?” She secretly hoped that they got a view of the mountains. But maybe that was being just a little too greedy.
“Let’s just say, I’ve got connections.”
After helping her into the wheelchair, he tossed his keys to the valet. Once they were inside, the head waiter showed them to their table. And it was, in fact, one with a view. Zoya took a minute to admire the beauty beyond the glass, and to catch her breath. Still staring out the window, she said, “Zeeshan, you’re just full of surprises. I don’t know how to thank you for this. It’s wonderful.”
“I think I can come up with something.” Mischief edged his tone, as he looked over the menu. When he heard her sigh, he looked over the menu to see her still gazing out the window.
“Beautiful, isn’t it?”
He’d never seen someone quite as beautiful as her. With his eyes still on her, he replied, “Absolutely gorgeous.”
Dinner was delicious, and when the waiter brought over the dessert tray, Zoya laughed out loud. “Oh, there’s so many to choose from! I don’t think I can pick from so many choices. You pick, Zeeshan.”
He picked up a small silver platter from the second shelf that was covered with a lid. Once the waiter was gone, he pushed it towards her. “Open it.”
“What is it?” She lifted the lid, and let out a breath. It was a small vanilla frosted cake in the shape of a heart. She started to read the words written on the cake. “Will you marr-,”
She felt a hand tighten around her heart. Oh, God. When she looked at him for an explanation, he leaned forward and opened a small box that lay in his palm. Inside, a simple diamond ring winked in the candlelight. Zoya felt her voice hitch in her throat. For the life of her, she didn’t know what to say to him. She figured her expression must have been rather comical, because Zeeshan was smiling from ear to ear.
“I guess it’s not fair, knowing that you’re going to have to say yes.” He said. “But I felt it was necessary to make it official. That we're getting married, I mean.”
“Zeeshan, you really didn’t-,” She felt embarrassed. What else was she going to have him do for her? For heaven's sake, he's proposing to me! How far was this game going to go? “I wish you hadn’t.”
“If you’re worrying about the money again, don’t.”
“But this ring probably cost you a fortune!”
“Actually, Ammi gave it to me.”
“Oh. Okay. Um, she’s okay with me wearing it until…”
“Um, that’s the other thing. I… ah… couldn’t tell her.”
“W-What do you mean, you couldn’t-,” When she saw that he’d lost his smile, she realized what he meant. Her heart dropped into the pit of her stomach. “Oh, no.”
“I’m sorry, Zoya. But before I could even start explaining, she bundled me up in her arms and started crying. She was so happy that I’d finally decided to marry, that she didn’t even give me a lecture. After seeing her like that, I didn’t have the heart to tell her.” It was true, and he felt guilty enough about lying to her already. “I promise, I’ll try to figure something out.”
Zoya realized that she wasn’t being fair. If he was willing to play this game for her, then she’d do the same for him. Giving a bright smile, she said, “Well, I suppose I’ll be needing that ring, then.”
He laughed at her easy tone, and slipped the ring onto her bare finger. The finger where she used to wear the ring Atif had given her. “You took off your wedding ring.”
“Yeah. I figured it was time to put it away.” She looked at her hand, and the diamond sparkling on her finger. Simple and traditional. “It’s perfect. Thank you, Zeeshan.”
“Anything for you, my love.” He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed the tips of her fingers with a smirk. Zoya gave a baffled laugh, and pulled her hand away.

~*~

Asma looked at the ring on Zoya’s finger. “Wow. It’s gorgeous.”
“Isn’t it?” Zoya didn’t have to fake the giddiness, or the excitement. She was really very happy. “It was perfect, Asma. You should have seen the view. And then the waiter brings out the dessert tray…”
Asma listened to Zoya go on and on about the evening. She was truly very happy for her Bhabi. Zoya deserved this happiness. A wheelchair shouldn’t be the one to decide her life for her. “I’ll call a wedding planner.”
“No, Asma. I want to keep it simple. Only really close friends. Maybe twenty people, at the most.” It would be easier for her later when… “I want to keep it simple.”
“But-,”
“No, Asma. There’s no way you’re going to change my mind. Zeeshan and I have both agreed on a simple wedding.”
“Fine. But I’m picking your dress.” Asma folded her arms in front of her. “And it’s not going to be pink.”

~My apologies for not posting sooner. Dilemmas at work kept me from my computer. Neway, hope you liked this chapter. I'm still working on the next few chapters... i guess i'm running low on chapters to post. I'll have to get my mind working. Thanks for reading, take care.
~ Zaynie...

Last edited by zaynie; 20th March 2007 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: little mistake

Old
  (#32)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

23rd March 2007, 04:20 AM

Twenty-One
It was two days to the wedding, and the caterer had just called to inform Asma that they wouldn’t be able to complete her order. The head chef’s mother had died, and he was traveling to Europe for the funeral. However sorry she felt for the guy, it still left her without dinner for twenty-one guests.
Thankfully, the flowers had arrived on time. That, at least, was one less thing to worry about. She’d have to talk to the others about dinner arrangements. They’d have to help her out on this one.
Munira was only too glad to cook for her son’s wedding. Humza was ready to help out as well, and they both promised to make a fantastic dinner. So with the cooking out of her hair, all Asma had to worry about now was decorating Zeeshan’s place for the reception.
With a house like his, one would wonder where to start. It wasn’t anything like Asma’s place. The grand entrance was only the beginning of the beauty. The living room was closed off with double French doors, and across from it was a huge dining room. Asma could only imagine what wonders lay beyond the spiraling staircase to the second floor.
Putting her imagination to rest, Asma set herself to the task of setting up the living room for the reception. Munira had hurried back to the kitchen after letting her in. Maybe she didn’t trust a guy alone in her kitchen.
Before she started thinking about Humza again, she forced herself to focus on the job at hand. Flowers… Flowers… Flowers…
Nearly an hour later, Asma figured she could use a break. Back aching, and fingers throbbing, she found her way to the kitchen. But the sight that greeted her was enough to chase away her fatigue.
Sunlight poured through the kitchen window, adding a glow to the already bright space. Her gaze fell on Humza, before anything else. The way he’d rolled up his sleeves to chop vegetables; the way he sliced and diced them with finesse.
For as long as he could remember, Humza had loved to cook. In his opinion, it was a great way to let go of all your worries. Well, at least most of them. When he turned around to grab some more carrots, he saw Asma watching him. She gave him one of those smiles that made his tummy tingle. Even cooking couldn’t help take his mind off her.
She walked over to him and peered into the bowl on the counter. “Having fun?”
“If you put a kid in the playground, of course he’s going to have fun.” He chopped some more carrots. “Are you finished?”
“Not even close.” She picked up a piece and popped it in her mouth. “But I’m too tired.”
Before she could reach for another carrot, he slapped her hand away. When she pouted a little, he grabbed a whole carrot from the bag and started peeling it for her. “Here.”
“Thanks, Doc.” When Asma held open her palm to take it, he saw the cuts on her fingers.
“What happened to your fingers?”
“Nothing. I was just careless with some of the fresh roses.” When he pulled her over to the sink, she had no choice but to follow. “Humza, I’m fine.”
Munira left what she was doing on the stove and came over to see what was going on. “Kia huwa, beta?”
“Nothing, Aunty. I just nicked myself a couple of times.”
“Well, you need to clean those cuts.” She told Humza there was a first aid kit in the bathroom next to the staircase. Then hurried back to the pot left on the stove.
Humza all but dragged her there, lecturing her about taking more care of herself. “You’ve got to stop being so careless, Asma.”
She watched him as he applied ointment to the cuts to disinfect them. A fond memory surfaced and brought a smile to her face.
Humza couldn’t see what was so entertaining. “What are you smiling about?”
“Do you remember a few years ago when we were playing cricket in our backyard…”
Now he smiled too. “You didn’t tell anybody that the ball had hurt your arm, because then we would have stopped playing.”
“You saw the bruise later, and started lecturing me just like now.” Asma angled her head and gave him a smile. “You’re still very bossy, you know.”
“Yeah, and you’re still as stubborn. Even then you wouldn’t let me put any balm on your hand.” He put the ointment aside, and pulled out a few bandages.
“I was shy.” She wondered if he remembered anything else…
“Right, shy.” He chuckled, and shook his head. “It was the first time we kissed, Asma. And if I remember correctly, you were the one that kissed me.” Humza would never forget that moment. “I wouldn’t exactly call that ‘shy’.”
Asma bit back a smile. He was right. She had been the one to kiss him. “And then Bhaiya saw us, and was about to kick you out.”
“Yeah. I nearly wet my pants that day.” They both laughed together at the memory of it.
“I still remember what it was like.” Asma said as he put away the first aid box. “Our first kiss.”
Humza’s hand jerked a little as he went to turn on the faucet. “Yeah, so?”
Oh, this was getting her nowhere. He was right. She was never shy with him. Stepping up to him, she waited until her turned to her. His face was set firm when he asked, “What?”
“Kiss me again.” She saw the surprise in his eyes, but that didn’t stop her. “Like you did the first time I kissed you.”
“I’m not in the mood.” Humza tried to avoid her eyes and pass her. But she stepped in front of him and gave him a smug grin. “Come on, Asma. Move. I’ve got work to do.”
She pushed him back with a single finger, and closed the door to the bathroom. Taking a step towards him, she said, “Why is it, that when you feel like kissing me, you go right ahead and do it. But when I want a kiss, I’ve got to wait for you to make up your mind.”
“Take another step closer, and you’ll be sorry.”
She deliberately moved closer leaving only a breath of space between them. “Make me sorry, Humza. I dare you.”
She knew he’d never back down on a dare. Especially one this good. He didn’t bother being gentle with her this time because she’d come asking for trouble. He roughly backed her up against the door and crushed his lips to hers.
Asma felt the anger in his kiss, but she responded only with love. Slowly, he softened the kiss and it was a sign that she’d won him over. Asma felt her head spinning when he finally pulled away. Smiling, she said, “That was nothing like the first time.”
“Hmm. Better or worse?” He asked brushing his lips over hers again.
She smiled against his lips, then put her arms around him. “Better. Much better.”
Humza let himself hug her close. It had been so long since they’d shared a moment like this. Just love and passion. “I’ve missed us, Asma.”
Asma held him tighter. “Me too.”
~Hope you enjoyed... let me know with a ! Bye.... ~zzz

Old
  (#33)
astha
not a shayar

23rd March 2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaynie View Post
Hi Astha...
Such guys don't exist period! not even around me. Zeeshan is just a figment of my imagination. The image of the perfect guy in my mind. One that doesn't get mad, or angry. One that loves a girl so much, he'd never hurt her. But like i said, i don't think such a guy exists. But i'll pray that there is 'two' like that, at least. One for u and one for me! heheh.....
agar ek hi hua to ???? ...
okie .. u can kip him. frds k liye itna to kar hi sakte hai

astha

Old
  (#34)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

25th March 2007, 11:26 PM

hehe... nay nay... do tho zaroor honge....
neway, heres the next chapter... sorry i didn't post yesterday... got busy, again!

Twenty-Two

The wedding turned out perfect. Everything went smoothly, and when Zeeshan bid good-night to the last guests, he was only too happy. It had been fun, but really exhausting. Going to someone’s wedding was one thing, but hosting your own wedding was entirely another.

Heaving a sigh, Zeeshan fell down on the sofa beside Humza. “Wow. What a day.”
“It’s not over yet, buddy.” Humza flashed him a grin. “Asma and Aunty just took Zoya into your room.”
“Oh.” Zeeshan hadn’t even thought for one second about the wedding night. Shit. “Um…”
Humza saw the color in his cheeks, and let out a laugh. “Well, I never took you to be the shy one. Nervous?”
“Yeah… I guess you could say that.” What the hell could he say? “Um, could you excuse me for a second?”
Humza barely replied before Zeeshan hurried away. He’d had the guest room set up as their bedroom, since climbing the stairs wasn’t an option for Zoya. When he reached the door, he found it locked. Obviously. Hesitantly, he lifted a hand to knock.
Asma opened the door just a crack and peeked out. “Well, you’re in a hurry aren’t you? She’s not ready yet, so go away.”
“No- I just…” Zeeshan’s cheeks burned. “Could I talk to Zoya for a min-,”
“I said she’s not ready yet.” Asma shut the door with a smirk on her face. She turned to Zoya. “It seems your husband is getting impatient.”
Munira laughed at her son’s eagerness. “Well, we shouldn’t keep him waiting too long.”
She gave a final adjustment to Zoya’s langha, and gave her a kiss on the forehead. “May Allah bless you both and give you an eternity of love.”
Asma smiled at the prayer, and added, “And let your love blossom with each new day, finding happiness in every little way.”
Zoya’s eyes brimmed at their wishes. The more love they gave her, the guiltier she felt for betraying them. How would they feel if they found out that Zeeshan wasn’t really in love with her? That this marriage was only one of convenience?
She gave each of them a hug before they let Zeeshan in.
Zeeshan had to admit that Asma had outdone herself. The room looked glorious. She’d filled every corner of the room with flowers. The bed was scattered with rose petals, in red and pink. There were candles lit on the side tables and a trail of white roses circled around them. “Oh, wow.”
Asma found it to be the best way to compliment her work. “You like it?”
“It’s amazing, Asma. You’re quite the decorator.” It was then that his gaze fell on Zoya. “Double wow.”
Zoya lowered her gaze. She didn’t have to pretend the nervousness. Neither of them had talked about this whole thing. She just wished that the others would leave, so they could figure something out. But Humza came in with his camera to take some last shots. “Okay, Dulhe saab. You’ve got to sit down next to her, and look pretty like her. Can you do that?”
“Shut up, Humza.” Zeeshan mumbled, and took a seat next to Zoya on the bed. Instead of having her move to give him room, Asma made her shift closer to him. Then she told Zeeshan to put an arm around her shoulders for a pose.
After taking nearly a dozen snaps in different poses, they finally left the couple alone. Before closing the door, Asma turned off the lights, to let the candles illuminate the room. When the door finally closed, they both looked at each other. Letting out a sigh, Zoya said, “I didn’t see this coming.”
“Me neither.” Zeeshan got off the bed, and walked over to the window. He couldn’t look at her, because he’d just keep starring. Never had he seen a woman more beautiful than her. Taking off his coat, he threw it on the sofa.
“Asma left milk on the table… for us.” Zoya said looking over to the side table. There was only one glass, meant for them to share it. “Ammi said you like to drink milk before bed.”
Ammi. Zeeshan let his smile show. “You don’t have to call her Ammi.”
“I want to. She’s giving me so much love, so it’s the least I can do.” Zoya wanted to give her happiness, for as long as she was here. She may not be able to do all the things a normal bahu might, but the least she could give her was love and respect. “I wish I could do more.”
“You’ll find a way, I’m sure.” He said, picking up the glass of milk. He sat down in front of her and lifted it to her lips. “I know you have milk before bed too. Asma told me.”
When Zoya held the glass, her hand covered his. It would have been rude to pull away. They had more trust than that between them. So she left her hand over his while she took a few sips. He kept insisting she drink more until only half a glass was left. “Bus, baki aap ka.”
She watched as he deliberately turned the glass and put his lips on the same spot her mouth had touched. Zoya felt tingles run up her spine as she watched him gulp down half the glass. When he put down the glass, she saw that her lipstick marks were imprinted on his lips, making it look like…
“I did it on purpose, Zoya. Don’t be so embarrassed.” He said when he saw the color in her cheeks. “I have a feeling, Ammi might-,”
They both turned when someone knocked. Zoya had to smile at his brilliance. He got up and opened the door just a crack. It was Humza. “Hey…”
Humza saw the marks on his mouth, and cursed on his breath. “Sorry, yaar.”
“It’s alright.” He intentionally wiped a hand over his lips.
“Your mom sent this in case you guys wanted to eat… later.”
Zeeshan eyed the tray: a dish full of biryani, and his favorite halwa. Opening the door a little more, he took in the tray and said, “Thanks.”
“You didn’t eat much. I knew Ammi would have noticed too.” He said, setting it down on the side table. “You must be hungry.”
“Just a little.” Actually, she was starving. “I can’t eat with so many people around watching.”
“Well, there’s no one here but me. So, pig out.” He smiled and started to spoon out some rice.
“Wait. I need to get out of this thing first.” She meant her langha. “Could you help me-,”
Zeeshan’s hand jerked and spilt a little rice on the floor. “What?”
Zoya nearly laughed. “-help me get to the bathroom. I’d get up myself, but this dress weighs a ton.”
“Oh. Right, of course.” He set the plate down, feeling like an idiot. Putting an arm around her waist, he lifted her into his arms. Then gently, he set her down in her wheelchair. They were lucky to have the bathroom inside the room. It was much more convenient than having to use the one out in the hall. “You’ll be okay?”
“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Thank you.”
When she closed the door, Zeeshan sank down on the bed and wondered how the hell he was going to survive the night. Letting out a stream of unpleasant words he got up to pace the room. He could tell that Zoya was uncomfortable. Both of them had neglected this entire scenario. Faking to be in love was going to be a lot harder than either of them thought. Not only were they going to have to share a room, but maybe even a bed.
No. No, he couldn’t do that. Grabbing his pillow, and an extra bed sheet from the drawer, he made his own sleeping area on the sofa by the window. It was small for his size, but it would have to do. He didn’t want to invade Zoya’s privacy to the extent that she’d become wary of him.

He needed her trust. Otherwise she’d never fall in love with him.
Really fall in love with him.

Last edited by zaynie; 25th March 2007 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: lil mistake

Old
  (#35)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

27th March 2007, 06:06 AM

Twenty-Three

Zoya was up and about before anyone else the next day. After quietly closing the door to their room, she went into the living room.
It seemed the others had cleaned up last night, because the house was back to its original state, and as beautiful as ever. The morning sun was pouring through the huge windows in the living room. The kitchen was one with warmth and coziness in its nooks. It made her feel like cooking. Then there was the family room off to the side by the kitchen. It was equally large, and very cozy. A plasma television occupied the space in the corner, with comfy sofas to seat the viewers.
The only place she couldn’t appreciate was the top floor. All she could see was the glorious spiraling staircase that wound its way to the second level of the house. She wondered…
“Good morning, Sunshine.” He said quietly in her ear.
Zoya jumped a little and then laughed at herself. “You’ve got to stop doing that. I get frightened easily.”
“I know. That’s why I do it.” He replied with a grin. Glancing up the stairs, he asked, “What were you looking at?”
“Oh, nothing. I was just admiring your house-,”
Our house.” He corrected. “It’s our house now, Zoya.”
“Right.” She chuckled. “Our house.”
“Do you want to see the bedrooms upstairs?”
The idea brought a smile to her face, but she wiped it away. “No, it’s fine.”
“Zoya, you’ve got to stop worrying about my back.” Saying that, he swiftly lifted her into his arms. “Hold on tight, okay?”
Zoya didn’t have to be told twice. She was clinging to him like glue, as they started up the steps. “What about my wheelchair?”
“You won’t need it. I’ll carry you around the rooms.” When she started to protest, he assured her, “I promise you, I’ll be fine, Zoya.”
So they toured the second floor together, in the most unusual manner. Skipping his mother’s room, he showed her every other area on the floor. At each stop, Zeeshan would set her down on a chair or bed so she could get a good look at the space. She noticed every little detail, from the color of the walls, to the furnishings, and décor.
Finally, after seeing four rooms, they came to his. It was the biggest room, with a huge walk-in closet and attached bath, and very well kept. The bed linens were a navy blue to match the curtains on the huge windows. The bed itself was big and soft. It made her want to lay down and try it out. So she did.
Zeeshan laughed when she fell back on his bed. “It’s really comfy, isn’t it?”
“Mmm. It is.” She said with her eyes closed, and a smile on her face. “You probably miss it already.”
“Not really.” He shrugged.
“Thanks for bringing me up here.” She sat up. “I really enjoyed it.”
“No problem. You ready to go back down?”
“Yeah.” She secured her arms around his neck before he caught her off guard again. “Ready.”
When he had her in his arms, he got a devilishly funny idea. As they got to the stairs, he loosened his grip on her and got the satisfaction of hearing her gasp. “Oops. Sorry.”
Zoya heard the humor in his voice, and smacked his back. “I can’t believe you did that!”
“I couldn’t help it.” He said, getting a grip around her again.
“Are you always this playful in the morning?”
“Not always. It just depends.” They finally reached the living room; where he resettled her comfortably back in her wheelchair. “I guess seeing a pretty face in the morning really helps a guy wake up.”
“Your mother’s very pretty. Don’t you see her every morning?” She found herself enjoying the moment. For a change, she had him flustered.
He thought for a second. “She has a mother’s beauty. You’re…”
“I’m what?” She gave a sly smile. “Hmm?”
Deciding that an honest answer would help him gain back his ground, he knelt in front of her and said, “…your beauty’s… alluring.”
Zoya almost jerked back when he leaned close. Lifting a hand, he cupped her face and traced his thumb over her bottom lip. When he was only a breath away, he searched her big brown eyes for a reaction. But he was looking for something that wasn’t there. If she wasn’t ready for this, he couldn’t do it. Wouldn’t do it.
Thankfully, his mother chose that same moment to come down the stairs. Hearing the footsteps, he backed away and got up.
Zoya didn’t know she was holding her breath until he backed away. Taking a steady breath, she asked herself just what the hell was that? She could still feel his breath on her lips. The touch of his finger on her lips. Both had done enough damage to her defenses, and she wasn’t sure where an actual kiss might lead them.
Surely, not anywhere safe.
~I know what you're thinking... When are they going to kiss! hehe..

Old
  (#36)
astha
not a shayar

27th March 2007, 12:23 PM

true

astha

Old
  (#37)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

28th March 2007, 03:13 AM

Well, not too long a wait now, dear. I haven't written it yet, so let's hope i write it really good...!

Twenty-Four

From everyone else’s viewpoint, Zoya and Zeeshan were going on their honeymoon. But in reality, they were going to Chicago for Zoya’s knee treatment.
Asma had offered to drive them to the airport, which was a relief because Zoya hated to go anywhere in a taxi. After checking in their luggage, Zoya kissed her cheeks. “Take care of yourself.”
“I will. Munira Aunty promised she’d come over and stay for the weekend. We’ll have lots of fun. Don’t forget to call.” Asma gave her a hug and turned to Zeeshan. “Take care of Bha-, I mean, Zoya.”
Zeeshan had noticed that Asma wouldn’t call Zoya ‘Bhabi’ anymore. It made him feel responsible for breaking that relation between them. Mentally, he told himself he’d do something about it when he came back.
When they reached their hotel in Chicago, Zoya was really tired. After finishing all the formalities, Zeeshan suggested she get some rest before they head for the hospital.
Just mentioning the hospital made Zoya’s hair stand on its end. “Do I have to get admitted today? Couldn’t we wait until-,”
“Zoya, I told you there’s nothing to be afraid of. Besides, I’ve already called Dr. Suresh. She’ll be expecting us today.” He sat down next to her on the bed. “I’m going to be there with you every step of the way, I promise.”
“I know. I’m grateful for that, Zeeshan.” Zoya looked out the window and saw the busy streets of Chicago. “Maybe we could go shopping later.”
“Of course. We’ll need to get you better shoes…”
“Shoes?” Zoya laughed. “Aren’t you running ahead of yourself a little bit?”
“Why not? You’ll need better shoes, when you start walking again.”
She hadn’t even thought of that. If the operation was successful, she would need new shoes. Excited already, she shouted with joy. “Wow!”
Zeeshan couldn’t help but feel joy himself. Seeing her so happy made him feel wonderful. “So, the sooner we get you admitted, the sooner we’ll go shopping for shoes.”
~*~

Zeeshan stepped out of the doctor’s office with a smile on his face. Dr. Suresh had just informed him, that Zoya had a very good chance of recovery. The thought of seeing her walk again made him glow with happiness.
When he came to Zoya’s private ward, a nurse was just leaving. On her way, she told him, “I’ve given your wife a sedative. It’s required for the surgery. The doctor will be by to see how she’s coming along. We’ll take her in for the operation once the medicine settles into her system.”
After she left, he turned to Zoya. She was lying on the bed in a white hospital gown. He walked up to her bed, and looked down at her. “How’re you feeling?”
“Hmm?” Zoya looked at him with sleepy eyes, and a sloppy grin. “I feel… drunk…”
“And how would you know what being drunk feels like?” He replied sitting down on the chair beside the bed. Scooting closer, he reached over and took her hand. “You’ve been drunk before?”
“No, stupid. I’ve just…read about it.” She gave a sleepy laugh. “You know what I was thinking about?”
“What?” He watched her eyes droop.
“I was thinking about the first time I met you. The first day of classes…in Mr… I forget his name… in his class. I thought you were…”
He waited a beat. “You thought I was what?”
She giggled, her eyes now closed. “…you were gorgeous.”
Zeeshan felt himself blush, but he kept his tone light. “Hmm. That’s interesting. What else did you think?”
“You were sweet… and that smile… it should be illegal. I love the way those dimples crease your cheeks… it’s so cute.” She shifted a little and gripped his hand tighter. “You remember that time in the student lounge…”
“Wher-, Oh. Um, yeah.” Zeeshan took a deep breath. He was feeling a little guilty. Zoya was saying things she probably didn’t mean to tell him. Intruding on her personal thoughts wasn’t right. “Listen, the doctor said you need to rest-,”
“Were you really… going to kiss me?” Her eyes were still closed, but she furrowed her brow as if she were upset about something.
They were both going on dangerous grounds. Keeping his eyes on her face, he replied, “I wasn’t sure what happened that day, Zoya. It was…”
“I wanted you to kiss me.” Her voice was more distant now, almost as if she was finally falling asleep. “I always wondered… what it would be like…”
Zeeshan swallowed the huge lump in his throat. So have I, Zoya. I’ve wondered for a long time. He looked away from her face, and rested his eyes on their linked hands. Gently lifting the bond, he pressed his lips against the back of her hand. She didn’t stir, which told him she’d fallen asleep. “Sweet dreams.”
Holding her hand, he sat with her until the nurses came in to take her into the operation room.

Old
  (#38)
astha
not a shayar

30th March 2007, 07:16 PM

nxt????

astha

Old
  (#39)
zaynie
Story Writer!!!!

1st April 2007, 12:00 AM

sincerest apology. got busy as hell, didn't get around to even writing more of my story. hope you like this chapter...bye.

Twenty-Five

When Zoya finally came around, she was back in her room. Or had she been there the whole time? The lights were out, and when she looked out the window it was dark. How long had she been asleep?
Then she saw Zeeshan, who had fallen asleep on the sofa by the window. Even as he rested, she could see that he was tired. He was snoring lightly, with his head resting his hand. He’d kept his word. Every step of the way.
The last thing she remembered was talking to Zeeshan before falling asleep. Unfortunately, she couldn’t remember what they’d been talking about.
Anyway, it couldn’t have been important, otherwise I would have remembered it. She looked at her legs. Oh! The surgery was done?! She lifted the bed sheet off her legs to look at her knee. She ran a hand over her knee cap; it felt smooth… and solid. Wondering if she could test it, Zoya threw her bed sheet aside, and set her feet on the floor. It didn’t occur to her, even for one second, that she might need some kind of support. Being the impatient person she was, she figured she could just stand on her own now.
Zeeshan’s eyes opened the minute he heard the bed sheet ruffle. It took him a minute to realize what she meant to do. As soon as weight pressed onto her knee, she cried out in agony. Zeeshan rushed to her side before she could fall.
He caught her around the waist and took all of her weight onto his own body.
Zoya saw flashes of white as pain shot through her leg. She put her arms around his neck and fell against him for support, nearly sobbing from the pain. She didn’t have the mind to realize that all she wore was a simple hospital gown.
Zeeshan, unfortunately, did realize. As her soft body pressed against him, warmth surged through his body. She buried her face in the crook of his neck, as he lifted her onto the bed again. “That was so stupid.”
“Sssh… It’s okay.” He stroked her hair, hoping to ease her a little. “You were curious, that’s all. I would’ve done the same, I bet.”
She smiled against his neck. “Thanks.”
“No problem.” He wasn’t sure he’d survive much longer if she kept holding him like she was. Gently, he pulled her away and smiled down at her. “Just don’t do it again. I think you scared ten years off of my lifespan.”
~*~

They took a coach to Canyon Creek, on the outskirts of Chicago. The place looked nothing like a rehabilitation center. It was more like a manor with huge windows in the rooms, elegant rugs in the halls, and beautiful paintings on the walls. Zoya half expected a butler to greet them at the front desk.
But instead, a pretty blonde sat at the desk to direct patients to their designated rooms. “You’re in room 307.”
When they were settled in, Zoya took a minute to take in her surroundings. “This place is gorgeous, Zeeshan.”
“I’m pretty surprised myself. I didn’t think it would be this nice.” Zeeshan drew the drapes aside and let sunlight lighten the room. “The view’s great too.”
Zoya wheeled over to the window and looked out into the garden below. “Oh, wow. It’s a piece of heaven.”
“Look over there.” Zeeshan pointed in the distance. “It’s a little pond with geese and I think…”
“Are those swans?” She couldn’t believe it. “You’re sure the insurance company’s paying for this?”
Zeeshan threw his head back and laughed. “Will you stop worrying about the expenses, and enjoy yourself? Think of it as a vacation.”
Zoya blew out a breath. “It’s so hard not to worry about expenses. Ever since the accident, I’ve had Asma pay through the nose for my medical expenses. I’d hate for you-,”
“Don’t worry about that, Zoya. You’re my responsibility now.” He bent over and gave her a peck on her forehead. “And I’ve got it on paper to prove it, sweetheart.”
“Oh, please. Next you’re going to be saying I’m really your wife.” Zoya looked out the window again, but this time it was to hide her face. She wasn’t sure she’d ever get used to his friendly gestures. Whether he kissed her forehead or her hands, she couldn’t stop the odd sensation that ran through her. The touch of his lips to her skin made her feel almost… alive.
“Well, you are, aren’t you?” Zeeshan sat down on the window sill, to level his eyes with hers. “Legally, we’re husband and wife. Even you can’t deny that.”
Zoya gaze flew to his. When she saw him smiling, she knew he was teasing her. “You’re right. In the world’s eyes, we’re a married couple.”
“Which brings us to the fact that I’m going to be sharing this room with you.” He saw the concern come to her eyes, but he couldn’t do anything about it. “There was no way I could explain two rooms to the insurance company. If you want…”
“No, it’s fine. I’m okay with it. We’ve been sharing one for over two weeks now.” Looking up at him, she smiled. “I’ve realized that you don’t bite.”
When she turned to go, he lightly snapped his teeth an inch from her ear. “Are you sure about that?”
Zoya nearly jumped, but caught herself. Trying to humor him, she gave him a push. “Don’t be so sure about me, either, my dear husband. I’ve got my own little secrets.”
Zeeshan had a dazed smile on his face as he watched her wheel away.
She’s just full of surprises.

Old
  (#40)
astha
not a shayar

1st April 2007, 12:46 PM

i ws really feelin low wen i logged in .. ab jyada thik hai

astha